Doch !

Not when you can go to Hawaii or Europe on a package tour you find them in the papers.

You can easily spend that much on Shink and accomodation. Really nice Onsens are quite an expensive affair. It's worth it though, you can't get somethings anywhere in the world.

But, yeah, not anymore... Japan is a great travel destination.

Originally Posted By: thursday
no it's not. Domestic travel in Japan is very cheap. Even more so now that the toll roads are free.

They're not free yet, still the 1,000 yen flat rate on weekends and holidays with ETC. Still a good deal, though. It widens my affordable range of day trips considerably.

If they do become free as promised, though, they will probably be rendered unusable. Just not enough lanes -- and road widening projects have been frozen.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Because you are not Japanese who'd rather go overseas since it's cheaper than domestic travel. - not the case anymore but some places are. If you are a foreigner visiting you'd probably won't make a fuss about it.

I'd rather go Alaska !

Well plenty of foreigners here who aren't just visiting. Some like myself are making this our home for life and we still find it very cheap. Compared to Aus, Hokkaido is an extremely cheap place to live and travel.