Thought I'd share a couple different pics of this beautiful mountain, one I have been wanting to ski since the first time I saw it. Our bus driver took a backroads route to Shizukuishi yesterday and I got a first hand, up close look at some of the chutes and lines on the south side of the mountain (got some vid from the bus). It made me even want to do it more. However, I doubt I'll ever get the opportunity since my knee is shot for those kind of adventures this season and I'll be leaving Japan before next season. One to conquer in the future perhaps...

View of south side from Shiz:

l71700.jpg

View of north side from Hachimantai Forest. Hachimantai Resort seen on the lower slopes:

l66618.jpg

I did a little searching and found this on SnowJapan: "Climbing/skiing Iwate-SAN itself is technically banned, due to the deaths of two hikers in 1998, due to inhalation of volcanic gasses, while hiking Iwate. I have yet to do it, but it does look REALLY tempting. Do I know people who have skied it before? Yes, that goes without saying. Do I know people who have skiied/hiked it since the ban was enacted in 1998? No comment."

A great article on the ski areas around Mt Iwate. I've been to them all and tend to agree with what the author has written completely. Glad I found the article \:\) Mr. Iwate and Mr. Fuji

Thanks for the beautiful pics, plucky!

I have been to Iwate only once in my life when I had my good friend's wedding.(It was very impressive wedding!) I remember the splendid view of those mountains from Morioka.

It is beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...