Killer robots must be stopped

sounded scary that so I avoided it and watched Harry and Paul instead.

Was it worrying what they reported?

Not unless you're an assembly-line worker. Seem to be great strides being made in replacing them. Some remarkably "human-like" ones developed recently that sit at the same workstations that retired humans sat at, and replace their jobs, watching the humans around them to synchronize with their work and fit into the assembly line.

South Korea has a robot that can dance Gangnam Style.

Lots of work now in Japan on trying to make robots that can be useful in disaster areas. Honda, for example, has stopped goofing around with making Asimo do cute stuff, and is now trying to make it capable of crawling around nuclear power plant rubble, where humans cannot go.

No mention of teaching robots to ski or snowboard, so the powder is still safe -- for now.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this should be addressed by adding a 4th rule to the 3 laws of robotics:     A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot mu

It may be the machines just trying to make us feel more connected to them and part of their cunning plan to take over the world and destroy us.

I'm not being sucked into their evil plan. :grandpa:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe I've been wrong about these robots...

We recently got a Roomba, and rather than taking over the world, it is taking over our hearts.

I thought it would be a useless gimmick, but dang if that thing doesn't make the floors look cleaner than we do.

Came home last night, and was greeted at the genkan by the dog, followed by ルンバちゃん trundling my way. :wub:

可愛い頑張り屋さん。

We've got the cheaper one called a Mint. Rather than a vacuum, its just a floor wiper but its got a massive range and gets our floors well clean. Its almost silent so we can run it overnight too.

Metabo Oyaji, are you sure it doesn't have 'intentions'?

I'd be jolly careful with my dealings with it, if I were you.

They can be crafty these robots.

Take care!

when it realises that to fulfil its main objective of making human lives easier, safer and cleaner, that it has to subjugate the human race.......then I think you won't be loving your bot so much

That is one drawback of Roomba, it is noisier than I expected. Can't really run it while we sleep, so just let it run around in the evening instead.

Still, the floors have never been cleaner.

Our Mint seems to work out the floor plan by crashing into things, albeit at low speed. I don't think Dumbstick would want one with his nice new furniture.

If you've got a dog, a wiper won't really cut it. You need a vacuum for the hair.

How does it work, Metabo?

Interested to know more.

Random walk, basically. It generally goes straight until it hits a wall, then goes off in some new, random direction. Sometimes it will follow parallel to a wall, and it can sense corners and chair legs and sometimes sweeps around them. It has sensors so it knows where obstacles and drop-offs are. When it senses a barrier, it slows down, but does not stop until its bumper actually hits something immovable. So it will go through low-hanging curtains, for example, but at half speed.

It also notices where the particularly dirty areas are, and it will spiral around such areas for thoroughness. When its battery gets low (after about an hour) it goes back to the charger stand and takes a nap.

It comes with a "virtual wall," a little infrared LED beam that it will not cross, that you can set up somewhere if needed.

Are they expensive MO?

The base model (that we got) costs 50,000 yen. You can spend up to twice as much, and get some extra vitrual walls and stuff, and the ability to schedule a cleaning job for later, but we figured we didn't need those.

If you've got a dog, a wiper won't really cut it. You need a vacuum for the hair.

It is really because of the dog that we got the Roomba. Would only vacuum once a week were it not for the dog shedding all over the place, but as it was, we were having to do it every day. Now Roomba takes care of all that dog hair for us. (And it picks up an amazing amount each day -- it's a wonder the dog isn't bald by now.)

Take care!

Not a problem. It assures me that it has never felt better, and has the utmost confidence in our mission.

It has even helpfully alerted me to a problem it has detected with some part of the external communications antenna.

Think I'll pop out now and check up on that now, actually -- be back in a bit! :wave:

(Oddly, it keeps calling me "Dave." Some kind of nickname?)

Roomba iRobot :lol: got that a coupla years back. It's got IR sensors and a bumper. There's an IR gate to stop it falling down the stairs.

At first the boy wanted to sit on it and let it roam, but he was too heavy. So he put his cuddly cat on it.

When it gets low on juice, it makes its way back to station for charging.

After the initial novelty amusement, we don't use it anymore. It just sits there. Maybe I'll have to box it up.

Newer models have stair-sensing built-in by default.

Don't need gate (virtual wall). We don't use our virtual wall.

Surprised it will support the weight of a cat. Even more surprised if cat would tolerate being asked to ride.

Take care!

Not a problem. It assures me that it has never felt better, and has the utmost confidence in our mission.

It has even helpfully alerted me to a problem it has detected with some part of the external communications antenna.

Think I'll pop out now and check up on that now, actually -- be back in a bit! :wave:

(Oddly, it keeps calling me "Dave." Some kind of nickname?)

Hmm, can't find anything wrong with this antenna component after all. Guess I'll go put it back in place.