Digital Camera Suggestions

Hi there,

I am on my way to Japan for some powder action, and was looking to buy a Digital Camera on the way.

Can people recommend any good ones and whether it's worth waiting until i get there to buy it or will it be cheaper in Australia?

Also, how do they perform in the cold?

Thanks

vctim \:D

actually i find digital cameras quite a bit cheaper in japan. if you were buying a film based camera it would be another story.

i bought a camera in japan for about 450 aussie dollars, the same camera in singapore (which is pretty renowned for having some of the cheapest electronics in the world) was 750 aussie dollars.

the rechargeable batteries are crud. even when i charge mine right up it doesnt last very long. and they dont survive well under cold conditions.

just my 2 cents.

They don't perform at all in the cold unless you warm up the battery first next to your skin.

For snow shots, I'd recommend using a disposable camera and getting the film put on a CD-ROM if you can.

I use a Canon IXY (IXUS) digital camera and I think it's brilliant, but not in snow.

Love my FujiFilm FinePix40i camera. I can stick it in my pocket and not worry about it. It's been in the Niseko snow as well as Utah's canyons. Great model. I think any of the latest FinePix models should be good as well.

As for the cold.. well, just carry spare batteries and you should be fine.

-montoya

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

I use a Canon IXY (IXUS) digital camera and I think it's brilliant, but not in snow.
i have the canon ixy aswell. very slick, takes decent pics but response time sucks as does the battery.

Response time is only bad if you use the LCD viewfinder (which also eats up the battery faster). I prefer to use the conventional viewfinder anyway. Try it.

I always think people look daft trying to take photos with the camera half a metre in front of their faces...

Cameras definitely cheaper in Japan, whatever kind you're after if you can get to the big camera retail centers (nipponbashi in Osaka).

As for cameras, depends what you're going for, quality, size, speed, convenience? Unless you go up to 8000 dollars, for quality speed and control a pro SLR, slides and a slide scanner still cant be beaten.

If you want to use the camera in the snow then get a quality high end camera and one that has a Dive case available (usually the high end models) Dive cases are brilliant for diving and brilliant for the snow, 100% waterproof and almost indestructible, so they provide awesome protection. You dont have to worry about the camera getting wet or dropping it. On powder days nothing is a problem and even with the case it quite compact.

I have a Sony Cybershot P9, an awesome camera, takes really good movies too as well as photos.

Dive cases are a little pricey (15-20000yen) but worth it and if you are a scuba diver they are fantastic.

Pentax 430 RS is great. Lithium rechargeable batteries are small. Secret to good battery use is to keep it warm. Wrap in plastic wrap, keep close to your body to keep them warm..Rewarm frequently. Take several. Shoot quickly between warming. Nikon coolpix 5700 is a bit pricey, and won't fit in your pocket, but you can buy disposable batteries for it and it has 5 megapixels and 8x zoom!

I have a sony cyber-shot p7 (i think) 3.2megapixels...

I love it...lots of features that I actually use (and a handful I don't...), small and light, with an amazing battery (sony proprietary)...i have taken it on a few ski trips and not once had the battery run out, or even needing a charge at the end of the day (including a 4-day trip i did)...this includes using it for photos and short mpeg video clips...

I do think sony cameras overexpose the pictures a bit too much to my liking, but that is corrected with the exposure feature (i can force it to underexpose if i like...)

all in all, for a small lightweight digi-cam, the sony meets all my needs and more...

danz

ender, I switched to E recently after having them in J for a coupla years. I was a tad pissed off because I took some groovy shots from the plane of the frightening expanse of Siberian snow when I flew back to England. Switching menus to show my sister that it could be done deleted the memory so I lost those photos.