I've only ever heard of them, and stories. Anyone any actual experience at all? Do they really exist? Where are they? Do they all have close perms? And only parts of their small fingers? And look like extras on Black Rain? And big tattoos? Hmmm.

That other drug thread got me started, sorry \:\)

:p

Yakuza are weird. Have you seen Pulp Fiction, where the two hoods go to whack the students who cheated them on a drug deal? They're chatting normally as they walk up to the apartment, then they say "Gotta get in character now" and turn psycho. The Yakuza I've met are exactly like that.

I met a bunch holidaying on an island off Hiroshima and they were just like normal people, apart from the full body tats. I met some more on a union demo in Osaka (they were 'the enemy'). They put on a stupid hard-man show for a while, throwing boxes, rolling their r's and shouting 'Uruse!', then we had a fairly normal chat with them and talked about our differences of opinion on a range of subjects. The fact that we came equipped with some very stout metal flag poles might have helped them calm down a bit...

The top people should all be killed or thrown in jail, and the underlings trained to do normal work. Japan would be a better place for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

The top people should all be killed or thrown in jail, and the underlings trained to do normal work. Japan would be a better place for it.
That goes for my company too!

Amusing Yakuza experience.....

Was getting off the Shinkansen in Sendai on a business trip when lots of guys with black suits and ear pieces started running round the platform madly talking into their collars, all trying to look desperately important. All of a sudden they start forming a tunnel of people around me and all started bowing profusely...i'm thinking to myself "i'm only a salesman...no really guys, i'm not that important"...when i look behind me and here's this midget of a man who'd obviously watched the Godfather one too many times mincing along behind me barking orders to his minders. Suffice to say i didn't last in the tunnel very long as they rather skillfully elbowed me out of the way without creating a fuss.

The hilarious part was that despite the pretext of protecting their "boss", they could not have stood out any more if they'd possibly tried.

I've been told?????that the Yakuza will accept anyone as long as they meet the requirements ie. are subservient and thuggish. Apparently "Loner" types looking for a "Family" are the bread & butter members.

And interestingly, most (more than 50%) of Pachinko joints are owned by expatriate North Koreans sending back hard to come by "hard currency" to the mother(father???)land.

Ive met two guys who are Yakuza and like the other posts say, they switch on and off like a light globe. Normal guys when not working but must be arrogant and aggressive when working..and the tats are crazy, whole body including feet, behind ears etc where it hurts like hell.