I am very conscious of not appearing anti-Japan as i love the place, but i do find the police rather amusing....

The little Koban box near work is a case in point. Most morning's when i walk past the lads have their feet up with the TV on, laughing along to the morning's shows however this morning was a real treat. Two of them, obviously on duty, were tossing bread crumbs out the door trying to get pidgeons to come right into the station. It was like watching an old Benny Hill skit....

Just thought i'd mention it as someone was quoting a news article to me the other day suggesting Japan's police are not setting the world on fire with their resolved cases stats.

Any other amusing anecdotes?

my fav police story involves my friend. after a drunken night in tokyo he stole a bike to come find me in yoyogi park where i had pitched a tent (it was summer so why waste money on a hotel room). a police man rode up beside him and asked if it was his bike. he told him "no, it's my friend's" which the cop didn't buy so he had to go the station. the cops didn't care too much bc he said he was a teacher, but he didn't have his gaijin card on him. so he had to get his supervisor to break into his apt back in nagano to get the gaijin card to fax to the police. anyways, it got sorted, but then it was really close to the time his bus left for nagano. so after detaining him for hours, the police give him a ride to the bus station with the sirens wailing.

police here are a joke for what their daily duties are! Checking car parking spaces, bikes etc...

But If encountered by one its best to be friendly and they are a walkover!

I would rather meet a japanese cop over an Aussie cop anyday! more chance of getting off!

I know what you mean Indosnm.

I had the boys in blue get me out of bed at 2:30am one morning to tell me the hire car i had parked out the front for one night would have to be moved.....they suggested i just put it round the corner out of sight of whoever it was in the opposite apartment who had rung the police and complained. What the????