The space shuttle Columbia broke up today as it descended over central Texas toward a planned landing at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Seven crew members were aboard. A Bush administration spokesman said the shuttle's altitude -- over 200,000 feet -- made it "highly unlikely" that the shuttle fell victim to a terrorist act.

http://www.cnn.com etc

\:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by amandanism:
thats really rough... \:\(

the shuttle was only meant to be used for 10 years or something. built in '73.
thats terrible news ...R.I.P
but not entirely true about the shuttle.
there were 5 built, columbia was only one of them and was on its 28th mission,it was designed for 100

I've gotta say that I wasn't very impressed with the amount of press the shuttle compared to the train accident over here. Of course here, the train accident got heaps of attention but in other countries it seems it hardly got a mention at all. But yet less people die in the shuttle and its headlines all over the world?? What gives!

Both are horrific things to have happened, but it gets to me that American affairs always seem to be more important than other countries, at least in the western world.

Quote:
Both are horrific things to have happened, but it gets to me that American affairs always seem to be more important than other countries, at least in the western world.[/QB]
thats genrally true,like last year with the coal miners trapped somewhere in the states, every year thousands of Chinese miners die, but you hardly ever hear about it, but the shuttle is something different.....its the stuff of dreams for many people not just Americans. Its the pinnacle achievement possibility for many people. To go to space, break the hold of gravity and venture beyond.....still holds an aura, a certain mystique for many.
Its like someone has taken away our step to the stars (even if it is a vicarious step for 99.9999% of us).

i often think that the press, specifically America, but it happens in most of the western world doesnt put alot of stuff into perspective. Everyday hundreds of people die from famine, starvation, disease, civil war, transport accidents, natural disasters etc.

death is a tragic event no matter the circumstances, but i feel that alot of stuff in the developing world is pushed under the carpet. i think this can commonly be seen with natural disasters in the developing world vs developed world. for example the earthquake that hit gujarat in 2001 injuring 30,000 people was pretty much pushed under the carpet the same week it happened.

I agree the level of reporting is rather biased, but it wouldn't neccessarily help developing countries if their plights were reported any more. People quickly get desensitized to the whole poverty affair, so selective reporting can be a positive thing.

The problem is definitely over-reporting in the western annuls. (9/11 case in point, but then, how could anyone ever have suffered like the American people that fatefull day)