I had to (yes, HAD TO) go to a party last night - one that I didn't really want to go to. It was a traditional Japanese gig complete with the big tatami room and of course the enkai food as I call it. I can eat maybe 10% of it.

Any thoughts?

Oh god, those things kill me. The warm Asahi Super Dry and methylated sake, the stale food served at the wrong temperature, the pretentious squishy food that you can't figure out what went into it, the self-indulgent speeches and infantile games that prevent you from actually talking to each other, the 2-hours and you're out. And it all costs more than a day's snowboarding.

i usually like the food at enkais, and i have a generally a good time (except when they make me sing country roads a cappella). my coworkers break out of their shells and actually speak a little english with me, and i tend to get a lot of japanese practice in. what i absolutely hate though is uncomfortable comments like- do you have a boyfriend in america? in japan? what do you think about japanese men? oh you are a pretty girl, so beautiful. and why does the PE teacher always think he can get some action. ewwwwww.

It all usually depends on my mood. If Im not feeling too great and dont want to be around people I dont like enkais but usually I have a great time.

I EASILY get my moneys worth with the booze alone and then I eat all the good food on the table. Some of it is foul but there is usually more than enough to fill me up and then have a good chat to people.

Sure I get the weird and waaaaay too personal questions etc but if you put it back on them and coax it out of them a bit it is amazing what you will find out. I havent had any sekuhara problems, dunno why, maybe they are scared of me or something?!

Enkais are good and it gets you kudos with your workmates so worth the effort in the long run as work life runs more smoothly I think