At least those one yen coins are good for something then! Well, they are good for throwing at old people too. It freaks them out a bit.

I can tell that this thread is going to turn into a library of drunken knowledge. So far we have db's one yen pencil and mogs' receipt note paper. Together they make the "Emergency Pen and Paper" set,

by my calculations that would require 133.3 coins to make a pencil 20cm long. I could probably buy a pencil cheaper than that. However, I estimate that the "yen pencil" would last for several years before it required sharpening, so there could be value in this after all? I think not. The glue required in its construction would hinder its writing ability.

Herewith lies the importance of a sound cost benefit analysis.

thanks for the idea though sam!

Now, here is another emergency tool. You can make a very sharp cutting implement from a cigarette butt. It can be so sharp that many prisons don't issue filtered ciggys as they can be turned into weapons.

here is the low down:

required tools:

- 2 large coins

- a ciggy butt

- a ciggy lighter

- an abrasive surface.

1. place a large coin on the hard ground and have the other in your hand, ready for quick action

2. break the filter off the ciggy

3. hold one end of the filter and burn the other end, including the long edge. It is easy to over or under burn, so it may take a few filters to get it right. Perhaps 10 seconds is enough.

4. stop burning it with the flame and immediately place the filter on the coin that is on the ground.

5. put the other coin on top to make a burnt ciggy butt and coin sandwich

6. stand on the sandwich for a minute

7. remove the now flat, burnt butt from teh press

8. take your handy nail file (most skiers will have one in their personal grooming kit). In the absence of any skiers nail file you will have to use a rock. sandstone is best. The burnt, squashed butt will be very hard and the burnt edge will already be quite thin and sharp, however with careful work you will be able to hone a very sharp edge on the sandstone.

9. if you are in prison: place the new blade in you mouth and defend yourself next time the omnipresent bubba decides he would like to get a load off at your expense.

I have honestly used this tool to cut through 1cm rope that my funny mates used to tie me up when I was passed out drunk at uni.

I bet that wanna-be McGyver never taught you this little pearl did he?

Next week I will tell you how to create a cool Don Johnson Miami Vice 5 o'clock shadow with a cork from a wine bottle.