It was in another thread (Season so far article one) but an interesting topic.

Do you consider yourself a 'guest' in Japan? Even if you pay your taxes and you are here for a long time. I'm sure I will.

For sure, Japanese people will always look at you as a guest, but how do you feel?

I accepted a long time ago that I am a guest here, look at the word "Gaijin" - outside person, outsider. Its perfectly sums up the situation, you will never be truly one of them as long as you live, to dream you can is an exercise in futility.

happiness comes from serenity

"God give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage the to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" I am not religious but that little prayer is often spot on.

I dont have a problem accepting my place in Japanese society, I think the problem is with some of the the locals accepting me

After 11 years, with permanent residency status, and having already brought one Japanese person into the world, and having contributed more to the Japanese economy than many Japanese, no I'm not a guest.

I don't particularly mind people who have no reason to know any better for mistaking me for a guest, but I don't feel like one, and won't behave like one.

There's a big difference between trying to be Japanese yourself, and thinking of yourself as a guest.

I also do not go round thinking I am a 'guest', or behaving as such, but I feel that to some extent I always will be a 'guest' here, however long I stay. And however I feel about it, most Japanese will always think that was about it.

The whole guest tag is rediculous if you ask me-I mean what is the intended meaning anyway? Am I the type of guest that gets received by everyone yelling merrily "Welcome, Welcome-make yourself at home!. Here look at my daughter-she's pretty isn't she?". Or, am I the type of guest who arrives at Colditz castle "You vill be our guest here, do not try to escape". Rediculous isn't it-what do they mean by guest?

The term guest has some funny undertones I think. Countries like Nth Korea invite guests to see a censored view of the country and some gobsmacking displays of syncronised flag waving. A guest is someone you have control over-you may be courtious to them but when you tire of their conversation you can ask them to leave.

I am married here and make my own sad little contribution to the sputtering economy, but I'll be a gaijin for as long as I stay. I'll also carry my Alien registration card ,as do some people who were actually born here. On the topic of how Japan treats such long-term guests I think it's worth reflecting what the use of names says about the attitude towards guests or gaijins in this country. How many Japanese passport holders have non Japanese names? Apart from the soccer guy and the sumo guy-not many. Generally you have to change your name and hide your ethnic background to be considered Japanese.

Guest is just another way of saying outsider .

Hey guys,

just wondering what everbody thinks about the tama-chan/juuminhyou thing. it's been on my mind alot recently cos i'm prolly gonna get married in july. Are u married guys/girls listed as the head of the household? The major beef for me is that if i have a kid and say, my wife dies, since i'm not listed in the juuminhyou as the kid's father, what happens then? i lose my spouse visa and get shipped overseas, meanwhile my kid gets put into welfare? Can anybody out there re-assure me that sumthing like this can't happen cos it's prolly my biggest worry about staying in japan longterm.