Chinese movies - your opinions?

I just watched the Chinese film "Hero" over the weekend. It was similar to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". I thought these films were quite entertaining and interesting...not fabulous but worth seeing. Just wondering if others have seen them and what are your opinions of them.

You're being very polite, lennon, addressing them as ladies after those incredible action sequences with them waving their swords around like that. I found them very sexy.

Danz just sent me this link yesterday for Hero. Watch the trailer, it looks sooooo dope. ....and Zhang Yiyi is my future wife.... although she's gotta divorce that crusty old chinese businessman I heard she married first. Whats better than a hot chick that can kick your ass..... *sigh*

While HK flicks are horribly formulaic with terrible acting, and are poorly produced, they have the best fight scene choreography. One thing that kinda freaks me out tho is that HK movies that have western characters, the westerners are ALWAYS the bad guy. Even in Jacky Chan/Jet Li flicks. Those guys have a huge following in the states, but their recent movies still portray westerners as evil whitey.

I guess it goes without saying but I absolutely loved crouching tiger hidden dragon. I was hanging out to watch it but didnt want to do it in J, so evenutally harassed a mates mother to dub it and send it out for a big screening night. Amazing fighting, amazing scenery and although some people wont agree I thought the voiceovers were good.

As for some of the others that I have watched in the wee wee hrs of the morning, the plot is usually rot but who cares? Here for the fighting!

I LOVE Hong Kong Kung-fu flicks!!!

Give me some classic Jet Li or Jackie Chan and I am in heaven...

Markie, did you see Hero?? That movie looks insane! how was it??

danz

Actually, the action sequences were just average by normal Hong Kong standards in Hero. However, I was very impressed with the cinematography...similar to Akira Kurosawa's standards, I thought. And the acting was also better than average. Zhang Zi Yi has such an expressive face not to mention her beautiful features.