Comparisons of this ilk are going to be quite approximate and subjective, but here goes....

Osaka is famous for comedians and people with a direct way of talking akin the generic North of England. It has produced quite a few bands and has a vibrant nightlife. It's also a large industrial town like the British cities I mention. While Osaka has the Korean culinary delights of Tsuruhashi, Manchester has the Indian wonders of Rusholme. While Osaka has USJ, Manchester has the original and best, the Granada Studios Tour lol.gif where you can buy Percy Sugden keyrings (cheers dad!). By the way, having lived there in both I think Manchester is far "cooler" than Osaka, in case that's what you think I'm implying.

Nagoya is a little like Birmingham in that it lies between the capital and the kind of interesting industrial bit on the other side, and in that despite its size, it's not really somewhere you'd set your heart on going to. Neither city has any defining appeal. Another parallel would be that I get the impression that Nagoya (da ra da ra and famously the bizarre pronunciation of "ebi furai") is one of the most mocked accents in Japanese. It's second only to Tohoku perhaps. My wife is from near Nagoya and I know a lot of people there. I usually have a great time when I go, and no offence is intended.

Older copies (at least) of the Lonely Planet book are extremely harsh on Osaka, but in my opinion that reflects more on the berk that wrote the book than on the city itself. As an aside I find the Rough Guide series is much better.

Anyway, you live in Kobe, so what do you think Rach?

See what you're getting at NoFakie.

I'm not too familiar with either Birmingham or Manchester, but I'd have to say Manc land is cooler.

Mr Matthews go to Shinsaibashi for the nightlife or Umeda. As far as the ogling goes you may get lucky like me and see hot naked girls posing for photo shoots outside Hankyu station. Keep your eyes peeled!

This weekend there's a big free outdoor festival called "Mukugawa Larks in the Park" at Nankonoshima. It's within walking distance from Yodoyobashi stn on the Midosuji line. It goes daytime into the evening Sat/Sun and would be a great intro for you to partying in Osaka. Take your own booze and just follow the rest of the gaijins in the direction of the music. Have fun-I'm getting out of town for the weekend but may end up there on Sunday night.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I've been told by many people that it gets rather hot a humid round 'ere in summer. For all you Kansai-ers (?), are there ANY decent beaches around here. Osaka is rather a smelly city, so I've got me fingers crossed.!?

r u looking for the beach, the sea, or the contents of said beach. Kata and Isonoura, for sand and sea (head to wakayama and change trains to these destinations, on the jut of land just before Wakayama city). For contents of beach, try Suma, just past Kobe...

Now now O11, I'm just projecting what the young Mr Matthews, being new to Japan 'n all, might be looking for in a beach. The comments were definitely tongue in cheek, scantily clad just seventeens... i'm a generation past that i'm afraid...

The beach almost has to be seen, however. It's quite entertaining, sittin' back with a beer at a beachfront cafe, watching busty bikini babes systematically harrassed by hoards of likely lads, not unlike a night out at the local Ritz, only the more bizzare given the searing sun and the kids making sandcastles next door.

And then there's the perverts... vigilantes, plenty of butt to kick here, as men with binoculars make like they're home alone with ... well, i'll leave the rest unsaid.

Girls, practice your kintamagiri before heading to this popular destination...

Oh, did I mention the beach volleyball, rollerblading, wind surfing ...

Cheers for your concern miteyak/ ocean. ;\)

I'm definatley for the sea and sand. The wildlife, though it interests me, can be left alone for now.

So you advise:

Takamastu

Kata

Isonoura

cheers again