Ever been in trouble with the police here?

Someone I know got busted for soft drugs the other week and the police are causing a big fuss with his employer to get him sent home - ie out of Japan.

Just wondering if anyone had an police experiences here (apart from them coming to your apartment to say hello!)

had a little incident last weekend where they told us to move our party- nothing too bad really. later found out it was good them came bc it saved us from the yakuza!! anyone have scary yakuza run-ins? wait, was this in another thread???

I had a fairly big party 2years ago in my old shared company mansion but everyone was well behaved, we closed all the doors and windows, no one was on the balcony My roomy decided to let everyone smoke inside next to the extractor fan(and thats really saying something about the lengths we went to keep the noise down and be polite to the neighbours(before anyone calls me a hypocrite about the smoking in the house, it wasnt my own house, there were half a dozen poeple who wanted to smoke and my roomie decided it)) and the only music was being played on my computer! with its pissy little speakers. We were honestly really quiet yet one of our snobby neighbours decided to call the police, probably the b***h who ignored me everytime I politely said hello to her. So the coppers arrived and I went out half cut...er fully cut wearing a dressing gown, tie, and John Elway football shirt and preoceeded to humbly apologise in the best Japanese I knew, more sumimasen's and gomen nasai's than busload of obasans could muster in a month of sundays. Anyway the cops were fair cacking their daks (pooing their pants) just talking to us and telling us to be quiet.They were fully imtimidated by the two of us who spoke to them. They snuck away as quick as they could afterwards.

What ever happened to neighbours politely asking neighbours to turn it down? we were reasonable guys, polite and well mannered and on the day did our best to be as quiet as possible. Yet someone felt the need to call the cops, pretty weak, thats what got to me the most, I felt like I was living with informants and narks ready to run to the Gestapo and dob you in.

In another incident a friend of mine had a bicycle accident, very minor, collided with aonther dickhead (who was in the wrong) he called the police and 5 patrol cars came...yes 5 patrol cars came,took her away for 6 hours to the cop shop and interrogated her! what a crock! over a petty bicycle crash! She said it was a a joke mainly a belittle the gaijin and make ourselves fell powerful event. One wonders

I dont know for sure so like all the "crazy japanese" stories you hear and pass on its prob not true but..

I heard that the japanese law makes little/no distinction between hard and soft drugs - so your mate may as well have been injecting herion as smoking a little pot.

Dudes,

All in all, Japanese cops are about the most mellow, easy going, and friendly law enforcement professionals I've ever encountered on this planet!

There will alwauys be a percentage of racists and hard-asses, but compared to the U.S. with the well documented beatings and police misconduct I'll take a Japanese cop over an American one any day of the week!

Marc the BackcountryBoy \:D

I just wish they would get out of the koban more.

I had the same experience happen at a friends party. The fact that we were loud though had something to do with the cops coming. but 2 different koban cops came 5 mins apart.

Never had any problems with them myself, although whenever I spoken to them, they've always talked at about 3 times the necessary decibels. Before I dismantled the bosozoku bikes, I reported them to the police who informed me there was absolutely nothing they could about them, and regretted that police in Japan had so few powers. They said "I bet the police in your country could do something about it", and I had to agree with them.

Probably better to be sent home than to stay very long in prison (or detention). That's not a place you want to wind up. A friend was kept in detention for 7 days for some stupid thing once. 3rd worldish. You can wash once a day, bath once a week, but except for the bath you're not allowed to wash your underarms or genitals (mind f*ck). Lights are on 24 hours. No privacy - guards patrol the 'cages' from above. Detention you can have visitors once a day, but in jail I think it's something like once a month or even less and then it's only allowed to be family.

They can hold you in detention for no reason whatsoever for 20 days without charging you and seeing that the prosecutors tend to win 98% of their cases it's really a kangaroo court here. It's also not so easy to get a lawyer when you're first arrested.

I recommend calling the Japan Help Line ASAP, who were extremely helpful to us in the previously mentioned incident. If we had known about them earlier on, they could have gotten my friend out before the first 48 hours were up and she was sent to the prosecutor's office (by then it gets caught up in paperwork).

I got a speeding ticket...that's all for me but a gaijin buddy of mine got stopped once on his scooter for not having a helmet. The police searched his backpack and found a swiss army knife. They detained him for most of a day and wouldn't let him go until his Japanese wife came in to take responsibility for the knife (who knows what a gaijin might do with a swiss army knife!!). She finally came, big gomens and the police released them on the condition that the wife carry the knife out. imi wa?

• 1 month later...

shit - got a speeding ticket today mad.gif I was going 60 in a 40 area, so looks like the damage is somwehere around 15000 yen \:\(