I'm getting a message every time I up windows XP now saying some friggin .dll file componenet of something is missing.... It's so helpful it tells me nothing about what I might do about the situation.

If I reinstall Windows XP, will it solve the problem do you think? And if I reinstall XP, are all my current files and settings safe? (ie they wont all be deleted).

Sorry, desperate times calls for desperate questions.

wakaranai.gif mad.gif

When you get the message, write down which .dll it is, and then do a search for it on the MS page and see if they have any advice.

I have a .dll hassle at startup on one of my computers too, from having 2 OSs on one computer. It requires me to wait for a timeout, or hit Enter, but otherwise there's no big problem.

Hey Karnidge -

9 times out of 10 a .dll missing problem comes from uninstalling a piece of software (or just deleting it). Then when Windows loads it is trying to load a program that needs that file. You can fix it by reinstalling the software that you uninstalled, or by telling windows not to load that software at startup. You may be able to find out what is trying to load that .dll with Ocean's method.

Reinstalling Windows over the top will not guarantee a fix. But if you try it is basically harmless. If you just boot to the WinXP CD and tell it to do a repair install, chances are when it is finished all your programs will still be in working order. WinXP is very good about that.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

I've been messed around more than once by pesky little files like that. I reinstalled Windows, but that didn't help me.

Like enderzero said, it had something to do with uninstalling software.

Thanks for all the help.

Well I can't get rid of the message when I boot the PC up every time, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything else at all. Still can't install the software I want to.

It's getting time for a new machine anyway...

\:\(