I have never really understood how they come to their conclusions, especially about Hong Kong being the most expensive. I have visited nearly all the places in the top ten list and I would put Geneva and Zurich much much more expensive than Hong Kong or anywhere in Japan. I also find Ontario, Canada relatively expensive compared to Hong Kong when the GST and PST (15% sales taxes are factored in)

Tokyo seems pretty expensive to me. I go back to Hawaii for a 'cheap' shopping spree a couple of times a year and Honolulu is the third most exp. US city..I think.

Seoul at #8 surprised me. I found it to be very cheap.

If you are talking about rent per square foot then I can believe it...but you can definitely get by in that city without breaking the bank. I have spent so much money since I have been back in Seattle. In Tokyo I never wanted to buy anything because I didn't want to have to find something to do with it when I left Tokyo.

Tokyo may be expensive, but the mind boggles at what you can find there. Shopping for stuff is fun cos there is so much variety (especially for skis). It's obvious that I'm living in a wee little town, surrounded by rice paddies in Iwate prefecture. Tokyo is fun, but I must admit that coming home to the inaka is mighty nice too! ...and rent is sooooo cheap when you live in teacher's housing!!!!!