Do any of you electronically back up the phone/address book of your mobile phone? If so, what software do you use? Would you recommend it?

I've dropped a phone in a lake before and my wife recently lost all her keitai memory when her phone suddenly froze on her. It's a real pain to lose your numbers, I tell you.

Quote:
Originally posted by NoFakie:
Do any of you electronically back up the phone/address book of your mobile phone? If so, what software do you use? Would you recommend it?

I've dropped a phone in a lake before and my wife recently lost all her keitai memory when her phone suddenly froze on her. It's a real pain to lose your numbers, I tell you.
Yeah...I feel for you man. Don't use any software myself but do have a trusty ol' techo as my back up.

My girlfriend once lost her keitai on a boat cruise we were taking in Tokyo Bay; she sat on the toilet and her phone slipped out of her pocket and down into the brink. I tried phoning, but no fishies answered.

Haven't backed up mine, but I'm sure you can get it done at any of the service stores (DoCoMo shop, etc.).

I have seen USB cables for Keitais at conveniece stores, not sure how they exactly work, whether they are plug and play or what. But that is certainly a great idea you have raised there No Fakie, I would be screwed like a tokyoite in a summer power cut if I lost my phone digits :p

My phone is AU. My wife's is J-phone.

Thanks to a friend, I've got a USB cable to connect my phone to my computer. Using the trial version of a program called "keitai hoi hoi", I've got my numbers into my computer. The only problem is that with the trial version I can't edit the numbers or send them back to the phone if need be. Before buying a program and possibly my own cable, I'd like to hear some people's experiences if possible.

I could write all my numbers down of course, but electronically doing it seems much more convenient.

Yeah i have my mobile backed up to my PC.... i know this may be a little irrelivant as Nokia's ar'nt sold in Japan, but my nokia phone came with its own software called nokia pc suite, which also converts MIDI files to ring tone, pictures for screen savers and wall papers etc. All i had to do was buy an infra-red device that USB's into the PC then i just point the infra red lens of the phone at it and away it goes..... quite a handy little device. I also have my Ipaq (pda) synced as well, it stores all the names etc in outlook and is synced with MS "active sync".

All sounds a bit over the top and outrageous but i love gadgets!!!!

Its quite mad over here too (Hong Kong), but from what I hear the Japanese really are into it in a big way.