Seeing as we have health insurance under discussion, what about contents insurance?

Has any one had dealings on this front? I kind of hope to find some expat style home contents insurance, but I bet it is expensive (and doesn't cover earth Q's).

I had to get insurance when signing up for my previous apartment. I was told to join the insurance so the landlord could claim if I was responsible for a fire. It also covered stuff like theft (inc. travel baggage), personal liability (not while driving), and stuff like thunderstorms. I think it covered earthquake-related fires, but not earthquakes themselves(*).

It was 15,000 yen for two years. The policy was called the Nice Living Plan with a Japanese company called Nichido Kasai. I'm sure there are many other similar policies. Some of them cover the cost of getting a hole-in-one while playing golf, would you believe.

I tried to make a claim with it when some frozen snow fell off the roof and damaged my car, but they wouldn't pay because it was my car. They said they would have paid had the car been in someone else's name. The car park outside was separate from the house, and by signing the contract for it I had renounced any liability claims for parking there. In hindsight, I suppose I could have got a lawyer onto the landlord of the house, but it wasn't such a large amount of money.

Anyway, YMMV but I don't think it's necessarily going to cost the earth.

(*) There were (not very nice) rumours of people setting their homes on fire following the Great Hanshin Earthquake to claim on this kind of insurance.

we pay 15,000 a year for a similar policy mentioned in the post above. ( i never knew that!) Details pretty sketchy but I think thats if any of my possesions got damaged or stolen they wouldn't be covered??? like computers, boards etc.

A friends kid pulled down his computer and the insurance co also said that they would cover it if its not his!

So does this means that I should not own anything in my own home and have other peoples stuff in ti? where's the sense?

we got a pamphlet with pics of water in house, broken glass, and some dubious masked fellows carrying computers, which leads me to believe we pay the real estate agent for our insurance. its is worryingly cheap, though.

Mad isn't it? The problem for me is that I just can't understand the small print in Japanese. Well, come to think of it, even if it were in English I think I'd be lost.... :p