Hi guys,

I will be going to Niseko for the first time this december/jan (the 20th to 4th jan) I was toying with the idea of buying a digital camcorder for the trip but i was wondering if anyone could advise me if it would be better to wait and buy it in Japan and if so can anyone reccomend some possible places to check out whilst im in Sapporo?

Thanks heaps!

I imagine the actual camera will be around the same price if not less in your home country. You should be able to find a deal online that will beat the Japanese retailers for sure. But if it is the newest hottest smallest camera you want, it might be available a month or 2 sooner in Japan. Just don't expect 2005 cameras at a fraction of the cost...it isn't anything like that.

I'm fairly certain that video cameras will be cheaper in Japan than Oz. Electronic equipment in Oz is ridiculously expensive due to all the tariffs they slap on them.

In my limited knowledge of Sapporo, I'd agree that Bic Camera (right near the main station) would be the cheapest buy. You can get a free point card when you buy, and that will give you points towards your next purchase (DV tapes, perhaps). DV tapes a way cheaper in Japan than Oz. Buy the camera first. Then buy anything else in a separate purchase, then you'll be allowed to use the points. Depending on the item you'll get between 5-13% (approx). Usually 10% for cameras, I think.

Check out the model that you're interested in in Australia, then telephone a store like Laox (use international operator to get the number), in Akihabara, Tokyo where you're likely to get an English speaker, who can tell you the yen price for that model (or comparable model) and you can take it from there. Laox is more expensive than Bic Camera, but you can at least start to get a ballpark figure for the going prices here.

Oh, also, remember that you want an English model - ie - export model, or else you'll wind up with NTSC and all the menus etc in Japanese. I assume you're wanting a PAL camera, being from Oz....

Bic may not have an international model of the camera you want, I think they do have some international/English cameras, but if not, you may be able to order it when at the Sapporo shop and they can send it up from Tokyo. Actually, PAL may be a little more difficult to get from Bic, not sure, never tried so I can't verify that. I know that Laox carry PAL (and NTSC) export models, and so must other duty free export shops in Akihabara (tokyo). But if that's the case you may be able to order your model over the phone from Laox by credit card and have them ship it to Sapporo. If it's in stock it should take 2 days to get there.