Did you see the X Games this year has surfing? There are 2 teams of 8 surfers. 4 go out at a time for 15 minutes each. They are supposed to "help" each other, whatever that means. After 15 mins the best 2 waves by each surfer is scored and added to the team score. Extra points are being given for progression in tricks like grabs and spins.

Whattya harcore surfers think?

I think the participants are going to get booted out of the pro tour for participating in a non-sanctioned event (X games), so some of the top ranked pro tour guys may not compete. That doesn't matter so much as you have tons of guys pulling big airs, but at an X-games kind of event the sponsors would want the big names... I am guessing.

Other than that, getting 2 good waves in 15 minutes can really make or break your heat, so I reckon you will see heaps of waves being caught with no actual surfing (ie, wave ridding), just take -off, a few turns to build speed and then one big air per wave.

And if the surf is lame, the X-games surfing event will suddenly look really sad.

Typical US surfers. after 9-11 they all banded together and refused to leave home to do the euro leg of the tour thus reducing it to about 6-7 events.

Again the americans ( barr Taj, god know how he got mixed up in it) hold hands together again and go against everything that they have been fighting for on the ASP tour since its startings.

More money, better waves locations etc etc and this is what they turn around and do? Its only because the Organiser was their mate, for anyone else they wouldn't have don it.