Quote:
By Baldev Chauhan
BBC reporter in Shimla

Picnickers in the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh could soon have a shock if they carry their lunch in a polythene bag.

The new law is the most stringent in India
Under a new law, anyone found even using a polythene bag could face up to seven years behind bars or a fine of up to 100,000 rupees ($2,000).

Politicians in the picturesque Himalayan state, a popular tourist destination, say polythene pollution is a major problem.

"We have directed all our officials to enforce the new law strictly," State Environment Minister JP Negi told the BBC.

"Polythene pollution is not just an ugly sight in the hills, it has seriously damaged the environment by choking the soil."

Total ban

And it's not just how the bags are disposed of that's bothering the state authorities.

The new law bans the production, storage, use, sale and distribution of polythene bags.

The law is based on legislation passed by the national parliament, but Himachal Pradesh is the first state to have implemented it.

How successfully the law is actually enforced remains to be seen.

In May, the South African Government banned the use of thin plastic bags, threatening a 10-year jail sentence for offenders.

And in Ireland a tax on plastic shopping bags has significantly reduced their use.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3132387.stm
They should do that in Japan - If you cant use them responsibly then you shouldn't be allowed to have them.

Try telling some of these morons in shops you don't want one.

Some seem incapable of hearing the words "Sono mama de ii desu." Others brush it off with the attitude that no, no, this plastic bag is gratis, our service to you our esteemed customer, you don't have to deny yourself it. Then if you don't want the plastic bag, they chase after you trying to stick plastic tape on your purchase that you then have to remove yourself. Hello, I have a receipt to present should the non-existent store detective collar me.

When my wife buys her cartons of fags, the supermarket clerk always carefully puts it in a thin baggy as if something's going to leak out. It's a carton of fags for Chrissakes, and it already has 3 layers of wrapping.

One of the first phrases I learned in Japan was "Biniru bukuro ha irimasen!" Soon after I had learned that, I came to hate the moronic and impolite response "Eh?!"

I read that down wind of Mexico City is a forest that has been completeley choked to death by these bags. They wrap themselves around the branches cutting off the sunlight. Then the tree dies, but obviously stays standing, wrapped in glittering plastic trash. This has happened to an entire forest!! eek.gif Bout time something was done...especially in a place as beautiful as the Himalayas.

i have left many a bemused store keeper with tape all over his/her fingers as i snatch my new possessions and head for the door. i will allow it to be done if i am in the middle of a large store, but within 10m of a door i strictly demand tape free produce and scowl menacingly at all those who try infringe upon my desire.

the owners of the local kombini know the game now, but they hired some cowering kid who has seen me twice a week for 2 months and still tries to put my stuff in bags. perhaps my looks arent evil enough.

insquidentally, does the above mean that if i trek thru the himalayas, i cant keep my dirty clothes in placcy bags?... that would call for some cunning bush inventiveness to avoid the horrors of an escaped used sock ravaging my pach innards.

"Sono mama de ii desu."

I always bring my shopping bag with me. If clerk says "Arigato gozai masu" (for not using plastic bag). I can feel I'm doing something good.

Actually, I just don't like keeping too many plastic bags in my kitchen. \:\)

You need to get yourself and Aeon card and collect stamps every time you refuse a plastic bag. When you fill up the card you get a free roll or 2 of glad wrap. Strangely when you refuse the first big bag they will put your stuff in one of the little bags they wrap meat etc in. If you refuse that one too then you get another stamp.

Plastic wrap isnt the best prize in the world but at least the person serving you knows what your about when they see your card.

I always go for the "sono mama de ii desu."

Regardless, I still manage to accumulate a ton of plastic at home and at my office. Japan is in love with super packaging. What's up with boxes/bags of cookies and snacks that are individually wrapped (omiage not included). what a waste!