Total freedom means exactly that doesn't it? How can there be limits on total freedom-wouldn't exactly be total if there were limits would it?

Society and total freedom can't mutually co-exist anyway because society (which is a fairly abstract concept and not easy to define anyway) is concerned with suppressing, allocating and controlling freedom.

What a load of BS...stop the airy-fairy hypotheticating postulating blather and think about the realities and practicalities of Total Freedom.

It would include the freedom to evacuate bodily wastes whenever and wherever one wanted to.

The freedom of Proud Americans to waddle around nude and put hairs from their nether regions into your ballpoint pen caps and toothbrush bristles.

Cannibals and cat-eaters would be free to pursue their favorite gustatory pleasures.

The government would have total freedom to tax you 1000% and take your first-born, but you would have the freedom to chase them out of office by bulldozing down their homes and offices...and/or the freedom to sit at home and not pay taxes anyway.

Need I remind you of that giant drunk guy you saw staring lustfully at your girlfriend at the bar the other day? Guess what he is free to do. Even worse, I hope he wasn't staring lustfully at YOU.

I've been spending a lot of time around my siblings' young (3-7 years old) kids. How many times a day can you whine and cry

"BUT I DON'T WANNA [XYZ]"... and

NOOOOO!!!!!... and

and the ever-popular

"I WANT CANDY I WANT IT I WANT IT CANDY CANDY CANDY...DADDY CAN I PLAY VIDEO GAMES DURING DINNER DADDY I DON'T LIKE MEAT I DON'T LIKE VEGETABLES I'M NOT HUNGRY, CAN I HAVE SOME ICE CREAM AND CANDY GAME BOY GAME BOY I WANT I WANT I WANT NOOOOOO!!!! NOOOOOO!!! WAAAAAHHHH!!"

Thank god for rules. The iron fist in a velvet glove.

Actually, Proud Americans are free to put a certain quantity of hair from their nether regions in your fig rolls. There are rules governing that sort of thing. But if there was total freedom, of course some of your fig rolls would be visibly curly. That's where freedom from beats out freedom to. Nothing abstract about that.

Pedro, mate, a whole succession of cretins have passed through this forum. Something about the fact that I've posted a lot of what they don't understand seems to incense them. There's usually a flurry of bitter, content-free, personal attacks before they go back to whichever stone they came out from under.

I'm getting heavy deja vu here.

BMG, salute!

Sitting in an ex's house many years ago, I sat listening to excited talk of anarchy from said ex's younger sisters et 'sixth former friends' al. Not being able to refrain, I expressed my delight at their desire to revolutionize society while informing them that they would be safe from me as long as they gave me all their money and did my every bidding.

After giving me the kind of look that can only come from teenagers exasperated by the ignorance of adults, the teensters returned to their plot to overthrow the tyrannous structure of government which forced protection and education upon them, and start afresh with a system of freedoms, freedoms taken for granted in so many culturally more advanced places in the world, Somalia, Colombia ...