I haven't decided which I'm going to go for yet. Will be taking a trip to the Tokyo shops at the weekend to see whats on offer.

This might be a silly question (if it is, sorry!) but I want to be prepared for the season, physically. Wondering if there might be a different way to prepare for ski or snowboarding? If that makes sense.

Well for Skiing you should work on your upper and lower body muscles.

For Snowboarding you have to work on the standing and sitting rest pose. So get a board. Stand or sit in your bathroom looking into the mirror and practice practice practice practice. Try and make it look like you know what your doing with the casual wave, grimace, thumbs up nad various other looks. ;\) :p

• 2 weeks later...

Stand on a step with your heels hanging off and crank yourself up onto tiptoes and back down again until your calves burn (about 60 or so). Do that every day and snowboarding will be a little easier. I'm sure that won't do you any harm if you end up skiing either.

Oh, and start doing buttock clenches a week or so before you start snowboarding.

inline skating. I do this tons before the season and I find that my fast twich muscles dont hurt half as much. I also stretch like crazy before I ski but i am getting older and I find that I have to.

• 3 weeks later...