Does anyone else get irritated by excessive invasive (predominantly fluro) lighting everywhere in this place?. Its everywhere, in homes with those massive round fluoro tubes on the ceiling pumping out industrial light in living rooms while the tv is on. At work, one room at my work (about 12 tatami) has 17 lights blaring in it.

Pachinko Palours (never been in one) pump out so much light they must be visible from outer space.

In my own home I can turn on some side lamps creating some soft diffuse lighting thats easy on the eye and easy on the glare off the TV screen, but when visiting other peoples houses I seriously want to reach for some sunglasses.

My inlaws love the super bright neon tubes and it grates me, whenever I am in the room alone I turn down the lighting but as soon as Otoosan is back, whoop up, they go to searchlight level again.

Anyone else had enough of the glare?

I have bought some crumby clip on lamps that have normal globes, thus i nbever use the fluro in my house. These lamps with clamp are quite good as you can move them around as you please by clamping onto the bookshelf, door, dog,.....

indeed, they are quite grouse.

Just last week I set a spot light upon my wall and had a blast doing shadow puppets. All I could do was the duck, so I got bored pretty fast. But is was fun while it lasted.

I've always noticed that and always hated it. I often turn down or ask that the fluoro rings be turned down when I visit friends. I hate it when its so bright. Give me a darker moody, comfortable room anyday.

That's because of the War. All Japanese people suffered in the War because of the lack of electric light, so they're making up for it now.

I used to enjoy freaking out my new adult students by turning off the lights in my classroom as my first action. Some of them actually reacted as you might if a seagull shat in your ear - the sudden twist around in the seat and the fearful upward glance. Then I'd put my hand up at arm's length, count off 5 fingers and say "Yosh". It was a performance.

db, that's what I've been told several times - by people who make a habit of putting all the lights on and who were born several decades after the war finished...

The same is said of heating, air conditioning, and foodism, most typically by people who wouldn't really know.

That's incredible, but very possibly some truth in it.

I sometimes go into my Japanese friends home and no kidding there are (bright) lights on in almost every room - even though she lives alone and wasn't in the roon. It seems that my arrival (or anyone else) is a reason to turn on all the lights in the house.

Those flouro domes in japanese apartments are the worst. Japan has a love affair with flouro bulbs. I feel like they suck the life out of you, and make a home look cold and institutional, so they're the first thing that gets replaced when I move into a new place.

I dislike them too. Back home like someone else said, the living room has a few lights in the corner and it feels all warm and cosy.

The main light isn't used that much (and even when it is it isn't 1/2 the brightness of many Japanese fluro lights).

I much prefer the darker existence \:D