Saying what is on your mind.

I'm never one to hold back, but the character trait has got me into some hot water recently, details CANNOT be provided. Anyone else here found being outspoken, the equivalent of being a leper whilst residing in Japan. 

CANNOT?

Go on...... ;\)

Some people stay as they were, some people adjust a bit (like me perhaps), some people do everything in their power to "become Japanese" (really don't like that).

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mince, most Japanese people just don't seem to offer their opinion on anything significant. Talk about apathy....no wonder the same political party has been in power for the last 40 years. I don't like to whinge about J-land, as it has so much going for it, but the lack of discussion and openess is the most fundamental difference between here and home.

And Kumie-chan, you are right. But nobody should ever feel that their opinion is worthless......

Mr Matthews, I find that when you are good friends with someone, they will then open up quite considerably. It's just in public, and with strangers or people who you don't know too well that the speaking your mind thing is much more muted.

What I've found anyways.

couldn` agree more big-will, couldn`t agree more.

there`s a time and a place for everything, and everything in it`s place.

you`ve also gotta ask yarself if you`re going to actually achieve anything/a great deal by `spekin ya peice`.

some things are best left unsaid. \:\)

I think you'll find the younger gen also much more able to open up given the chance. Quite a lot of oldies are most definitely toughies to crack.

I also suspect that a lot of Japanese people view the assertive Western style of saying what's on your mind as being kind of immature, selfish and inconsiderate. Am I correct in guessing that Japanese members? However, I also think it is perhaps a social norm that many Japanese people find just as constraining and frustrating as Westerners do.

I know a lot of Japanese people who speak their mind freely, but I think generally people do so more cautiously.

I think the younger generation is changing quite radically. What might have been fundamental to older people have/has become less commonplace to the younger crowd. Morals have changed quite a bit too. Younger blokes sit around in front of combinis or on trains, jibeta as its know in Japanese, and many older people are appalled (spelling?) by this. However, a big majority of older ossan think its ok to sleep with young, young girls. Still waters run deep.

Powwers,

Great movie!! "Ive got nipples, Greg, can you milk me??" What a classic line that is.

When the young Subaru salesman came to deliver my repaired car, we drove it once round the block. In the time it took to do that, he asked me about my job, confided that he hated his, had almost no free time to speak of, was looking for a job in manufacturing, but appreciated the good looking OLs that Subaru hires. While charmed by his candour and openness, it struck me as slightly risky for a sales representative.