I was in the local "home center" shop last night just before it closed. As soon as the 5 minutes to go time arrived, Auld Lang Syne was belted out over the loudspeakers. It went on for a full 5 minutes, with the kind lady telling us that they were so happy we shopped at their shop, and also reminded us to not leave any personal belongings behind eek.gif This whole thing was put on repeat mode for 5 minutes.

I have heard the song played at some snow resorts at the end of the day, but never in a shop before.

It just seemed so ridiculous. Any other crazy uses of this song? What does it actually mean in Japanese? "Heyup, we're about to close", or something?

I call it the Get Out Music! they play it in almost all shops up here for at least 10-15 mins before closing time. Most shops go with the standerd version but some have a jazzed up version which is barely recognisable. As soon as it comes on (15 mins before the shop closes) the wife wants to get out immediately. I think the shop workers want to clear the shop early so they can leave asap.

dude, u bin here 5+ years and u never heard it in a shop?!?!?

its pretty ubiquitous round my parts. best to use it for motivational purposes. try not to enter the store until the music has started and do all your shopping under the weighty pressure of that song in your ears. a real urban challenge.

as for pressure shopping...my subway train used to arrive at 9.59 or 10.06, and the matsuzakaya store closed at 10. this essentially presented an unshoppable situation cos a dude guarded the door from 10 onwards. but one eve, i managed to make it under the closing roller door indianna jones style (although this should have suggested to me that the registers were also closed) to find the entire shop desserted. somehow the tills had been vacated and all the staff disappeared in a matter of minutes. even the dude that started the roller door had gone. there were in fact a couple of lingerers in the far edge of the store, who were none to pleased to see me, but nevertheless allowed me to depart up the closed escalator. but that music means closing time. make no mistake.