I believe Ocean had the definitive post on Cockney rhyming slang, but let me take a stab at it.

Some English speakers from a part of London known as the "East End" used a funny kind of slang, called "rhyming slang". They took it to Australia when they...erm...moved there long ago.

Instead of using a particular word, they'd use another word with a similar sound.

For example, Americans are sometimes called Yankees or Yanks, right?

Well, in rhyming slang:

"Yank" rhymes with "septic tank"...and "septic tank" can be shortened to "seppo".

Result:

A "seppo" is a bad word for Americans.

However, most Americans don't know this, so Australians love to use the word "seppo" in front of Americans...the Americans have no idea what the Australians are talking about.

Master Ocean, how did I do? My Dad grew up in Bethnal Green and my Mom in Chiswick BTW.

\:D

Sorry!

Actually, the first person to explain "seppo" to me was Mogski (from CC).

However, I've never heard him or his Kiwi mates actually use the term in conversation, so I assumed it was mainly an Oz thing and intentionally left out Kiwis in my amateurish explanation.

Apologies to all from NZ, one of the world's last good places.

I'd never heard of that word until I heard of it on this board.

Do the Americans who know about it on here find it offensive?

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
this has been covered to death. Call Aussie etc anything and no complaints. They make the skin thicker down under!
nadgers... no-one ever calls Aussies bad names, lest they cry...

(lets see how many thick-skinned Aussies get their knickers twisted now)

I'm careful who I use the term around. I know that some people (like our dear friend Mr Zero) don't like the word. It's the same with the "C" word. A lot of people I know have issues with that word so I am careful not to use words like that around them.

Personally I don't see the word as a bad one but I can see why people don't like it. Each to their own.

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:

nadgers... no-one ever calls Aussies bad names, lest they cry...

(lets see how many thick-skinned Aussies get their knickers twisted now) [/qb]

I dunno Ive been called a roo shagger a couple of times.
I have a few kiwi mates who like to pat all their pockets like theyve lost their wallet and then say they were just practicing the aussie haka.

Then theres the criminal gags that come up on account of a lot of aussies being descended from convicts.
There ya go mate, have a go with those if youre stuck for ideas.