Size and how many they've got lol.gif

Don't notice it much - you often see big rich households living real close to the poorer ones, where I live anyway. The president of a big construction company has his house near where I am - great big thing and got stacks of money. 100 meters down the road there's some worn out looking little apartos and some scruffy little houses. Interesting mix.

There most definitely is a 'pecking order' here, but not so much based on money.

On the handbag issue, yes, everyone has an LV, but it's what you use it for that counts. Is it your 'tea with the emperess' bag, or your poodles 'poop scoop' recepticle.

there's LV to hermes, and many steps of class in between...

For the most I have about as much class as a rat with a gold tooth plus I know little about Japanese cultural history.

However, I will still comment on this topic. I think in the past there was quite a class structure in Japan based on how much land you owned and where it was. For example, there is a plateau in Kanto and if you lived on it, you had better class than those that lived on the lower areas of Kanto. (I currently live right on the edge of this plateau. In one direction it is just a downhill stretch but in some areas it is it is quite a marked escarpment in Kanto terms, particularly in the direction of Fuji). This concept has faded away to a great extent, however people today still seem to be very much rated on:

- what do your parents do,

- where did you go to school,

- where do you live,

- what university do you go to,

- what company do you work for.

Once these bits of info are found out then one can rank another. This is not so much a matter of class but rather a matter of being superficial (in my opinion).

That is about as much as I know on the topic.

photo_prof_3.jpg

Nakamura Eriko is a Japanese ojosama who married a French obocchama and who puts on airs. She is famous for never having eaten a banana by peeling it and taking bites of it, believing instead that bananas come on a silver tray with a little fork.

Also, pretending to be of the imperial line is a good basis for prizing money out of successful corporate chieftains who are a bit nouveau.

My neighbour is the richest man in our town. Loaded, by all accounts.

He has a very nice house, but nothing OTT. Then he's got this horrible old aparto building thing on the other side.