What to do when my HDD almost fills up

My PC is constantly telling me this last week or so that I'm low on HDD space. My C drive is nearly full. But my D drive has tons of space.

Thing is, I just don't seem to have much on the C drive that I can move easy, and most of the programs are installed on D anyway. So how come the C drive just keeps on building up and getting filled.

Any pointers and hints as to what I might do?

Cheers

How big are each of the drives? You shouldn't have more than a gig or two of installed programs unless you are running some really specialized applications.

What kind of files dow you have on your C:?

What OS are you running? Windows XP's virtual memory file takes up 768MB.

Emptied your recycle bin lately?

Running XP? How much disk space do you have devoted to System Restore? (Right click My Computer -> Properties -> click System Restore tab -> C: Settings) You should be able to cut the default 12% in half to 6% and not notice any problems. Or just turn it off if you want to walk on the wild side.

You should have at least 20% of your system disk free for optimal performance. Disk defragmentation needs at least 20% and optimall more to effectively defrag. Is your file system NTFS?

NT File System. It is a Microsoft file system that is more secure than FAT32. It is the standard for Windows NT, 2000, and XP, although the latter 2 can use FAT32 as well. Anyway, the system is more secure and also handles clusters better, so converting a drive can sometimes lead to increased disk space.