hey, i visited niseko last year and was pretty blown away by Mt Yotei it looked spectacular. I heard that its a 6 hour hike to the top, has anyone done the hike? was it a great run down?

im not an expert but i can ride ok, what ability level is the run down, and what level of fitness and hiking ability is required?

cheers

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-57.html

I dont think he is much of a climber but there you go.

Yotei is exposed big time as is Fuji. Im sure it has good spots to ski but Im also sure it has wind blown ice. Talk to locals to find out the wind patterns they will know more about which places get wind affected. If you dont have any BC skills or equipment I wouldnt bother going either. before doing something that exposed get your feet wet. That is for anyone.

yep it sure looks pretty from the comfort of the adjacent lifted resort. Most people climb it in spring when its certainly accessable on a nice day to anyone with moderate skills and basic backcountry knowhow and gear.

Winter is a different story. If you are planning to climb in winter you can expect nut sack deep powder (thats with snowshoes or skis on) on the lower slopes and bullet proof ice, probably accompanied by wind, near the top. It gets steeper as you go up and youll definately need crampons and possibly a pickel to summit.

Unless you are fit and have some climbing skills and good partners you can forget about strolling to the top and having a carefree float down.

If you are really keen to have a go at it get in touch with a local guide company, most guides dont take tours to the summit in winter(I climbed 1000m when I went with a sapporo guide company) but theyll show you some good spots to ride and rent

you gear if you need it.

It certainly looks like a cool ride. Also you don't have to deal with the altitude of fuji which isn't that difficult anyways but Yotei is like 2000 metres lower. Goodluck. If you do it post some pictures on here.

Like what Peaker said. If your really into it get a guide to take you to the top in the spring when the days are longer and snow is a bit more predictable although still dangerous.

thanks for the help and opinions,

ill be in niseko for 2 weeks in late jan, so the conditions will probably too hard and unpredicatble. however, i went this year in january and there was a good few days of sun and no snow, which sucked from a powder point of view, but if one of those windows popped up gain i might consider getting a guide to take me part of the way up. it would be an awesome experience so if not this year then next!