Those Aussie yobs..... ;)

Sad state of affairs.... There is always shit going down in Redfern, (although it rarely escalates to this level) but thats what happens when a community which is constantly hassled by the authorities believes that one of their own has been killed by the cops... Its a lot like the Rodney King beating in LA, but on a smaller scale...except the cops are claiming they had nothing to do with the boys death... "The Block" is a total no-go area, & looks like Bagdad on a bad day - its hard to believe the government lets people live like that in the middle of Sydney (2 streets away a 2brm terrace house can cost $1million) .... Its no picinic being an Aborigine in Redfern.... alcoholism & drug abuse are passed down through the generations.... these kids dont have decent role models.... I feel bad because its all the fault of whitey colonials 200 years ago, & what are we doing now to sort it out? not enough, evidently... \:\(

no worries mate! cool.gif

just had a look at a few overseas newspapers this morning - good to see it being reported quite accurately in the global media.

It would be great if some global attention was enough to prompt some positive action by our [poor excuse for a] government, but little Johnny Howard has such a thick hide - its unlikely he'll be embarrassed enough to do anything constructive other than launch "enquiries" (which never seem to reveal anything!)... but what can you expect from the man who couldnt even say "Sorry" to the aboriginal population for the evils of our forefathers... mad.gif

LLP,

I wouldn't unconditionally say sorry for the evils of my forefathers either, however I wouldn't have managed it in the same way the JH did either. I am sorry that it happened, but that is the best I can do. It happened 100's of years before I was born and if I were running a government I would never bend to pressure that required me to accept proxy responsibility for something that I quite simply did not do and had no control over. It seriously weakens the government's role in leadership.

In addition: the obvious problems in Redfern (no argument there) are state gvt issues, not federal gvt issues. It has nothing to do with JH.

just to be clear...

the stolen generations refers to the policy of australian governments removing part aboriginal children from there parents. this occurred from the late 19th century until the late (?)1960's, and some say early 70's. this is not 100's of years before u were born.

the act of reconciliation invloves more than just an apology, but the apology is important, cos it accepts the errors of the past. i am not sure of the legal implications of a govt sorry, and i don't 'blame' johny howard for the acts of our 'forefathers' but the recognition of the wrongs done and an official statement of apology would seem to be important to a lot of (living) people who this has affected. the senate commitee organised to look into the issue of the stolen generation and reconciliation recommended a 'motion of national apology and reconciliation'. the ACT govt offered a formal apoplogy.

i disagree that it would weaken the leadership. i haven't really followed this issue closely, but from what i know, i think an apology would be helpful.

hmm, scuse the inflammatory tone of my post, but little johnny gives the shits in general - the guy is totally spineless, he is in George Bush's pocket, & he justifies nearly everything the government does as being "good for economic growth". grrr - i hate that concept! we should be striving for "economic sustainability" - it is obvious that we cant keep growing for ever, as the earth is a finite resource... yet we are governed by fools that dont think beyond the next election!

the same could be said for a lot of politicians - i dont think the NSW ALP is all that great either... I vote for the Greens, of course \:\)

...sorry, got way off topic there...

someone has come forward saying they saw the cops chasing the kid >>

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/18/1077072713275.html

but there are 2 sides to every story of course >>

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/18/1077072708219.html