Watched a couple of Japanese movies recently...

壬生義士伝 (Mibu Gishiden)[ imdb ] - A samurai drama about the shinsengumi, which were the special personal guards of the shogun. Well done, good fight scenes, and not too much overacting (which most j-dramas are plagued by). The Japanese was too difficult for me to follow, but I was able to get english subtitles which were well written.

and

GO [ imdb ] - A movie about a Japan-born, half-north korean half-japanese high school kid (starring Kubozuka Yosuke), and the problems he faces and choices he has to make growing up in japan. I thought the subject matter was handled pretty well, the editing was good, but it had some overacting in a few parts. Either way, I enjoyed it, and would definitely recommend it. The Japanese in this movie is not so diffucult (about the same level as what you hear in J-Drama), although there were a few parts I needed someone to explain to me.

I downloaded 凶気の桜(kyouki no sakura) [ imdb ] also starring Kubozuka Yosuke, and watched the 1st half hour, but couldn't understand at all, and wasn't able to find subtitles. A Japanese friend saw it and said he liked it alot...

Any of you seen any good Japanese movies? Recommendations?

Does anyone know a way to download just the subtitles file (so that you can put the subtitles in the same folder as your avi or mpg file and it plays the subtitles)?

I'm talking either english subs for foriegn films, or japanese subs for english films.

yea... you can either use a video player that supports subtitle files like BSPlayer or you can download something called VOBSub which is a video filter that will load a subtitle file when you play any video file of the same name. There are tons of sites out there for downloading subtitle files, but http://subs.2ya.com specializes in Japanese/asian films.

Its anime but I recommend anything by Miyazaki Hayo - Studio Gibli is tops.

Hmmm. Shall We Dance, Whiteout, Battle Royal I is ok, 2 just sucked, Red Shadow, havent really watched anything recently except BR2 which was a waste of time.

thanks mr sparkle. i will check those out.

But I need the subtitles when I play them on my Xbox, so I have to use the video player that my xbox media player uses (rather than the ones you mentioned). So basically I need to download the actual subtitle file seperately so I can upload it to my xbox. Is that possible?

I am using VOBSub, but it seems to just allow you to configure your existing subtitle files, rather than actual download any subtitle files.

Do you know any good subtitle download sites?

XBMP supports VobSub. From the manual:

Quote:
3.7 Subtitles

XBMP supports SRT, SUB, TXT, SMI, SSA, AQT, JSS, MPL and VobSub subtitles. To use them with

video files place the subtitle file in the subtitles folder under XBMP, or alternatively use the same

folder as the video file.

The subtitle and video files must have the same name, for example:

Video File: The Matrix.avi

Subtitle: The Matrix.srt

After that, the subtitle will show up when “The Matrix.avi” is played.

If no subtitle is provided, playback will continue without problems.

To enable or disable subtitles, go to the General Settings and select/deselect the option.

To edit the subtitle font size in Mplayer subtitles, open “font.desc” with a text editor and

change:

size: 18.0 pixels to something higher (20-28)

For TTF subtitles, open skin.xml and change:

23 to some other value. Change this value on all instances.

To use localized font, place a subtitle-font.ttf file inside the MEDIA Folder, and uncheck the “Use

MPlayer subs” option in General Settings.

XBMP also supports compressed VobSub subtitles (rar) (Small files only (~6MB) because of memory

constraints!)

chapelle-5fingerslap-reized.gif

I managed to find one site but it only had 4 sets of subtitles (lord of the rings, kill bill etc).

when i get time i`ll have a look in soulseek or edonkey or kazaa. thinking about it, winmx might turn up some results too as its popular with japanese users.