Specifically, I'm looking for Ride snowboards... so I'm trying to find some small snowboard specialty shops that might carry the line.

I've been to the big sports authority, himaraya and sports depot stores and they seem to really concentrate on two brands: Burton and Kissmark.

Mr. Squirrel,

Where are you located in Aichi?

Alpen Sports has a small surf/skate/snowboard shop in Midori-ku area of Nagoya that used to carry Ride brand. Haven't been there in a while so not sure if they still have any. I can get the phone number or address if you want it.

Also, ASR in the Parco Mall (downtown near Yaba-cho station) may have some as well. They are a surf/skate/snowboard shop that is part of the Minami Sports chain. You might give them a look.

There is a big shop in Toyohashi called Shock Wave that supposedly sells Ride. Never been there so I can't confirm. May stop there on Saturday if I head down that way to go surfing.

As you mentioned, Burton and Kissmark are big in Japan. Most of the bigger stores carry them because majority of mainstream buyers are familiar with those names.

I purchase most of my boards and related gear at specialty shops or online (from the US). The prices at some specialty shops can be very steep unless you pick up an older model. Also, many specialty shops here would be happy to order what you want but expect to pay full retail. I can recommend a few shops if you want.

Let me know if you want more info.

Take care,

Miltie,

I live in Nishi-ku about 5 minutes from Nagoya Station, so it's easy for me to get around town.

I'll check out the two Alpen stores that I know of... thanks for the lead on the one in midori-ku.

I checked out ASR in Parco the other day... but it doesn't have what I'm looking for.

When you purchase online from the U.S., how much do the companies charge for overseas shipping? I was thinking of going online (I buy books and video games from the states) but I'm a bit wary about something as expensive as a snowboard. Are my worries justified?

If you could recommend a few more shops (both online and here in Aichi) that would be great.

Thanks again in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Squirrel,

What model and length are you looking for?

I checked out Shock Wave in Toyohashi on Saturday. They have a few Ride boards but very short (like 140 to 145cm).

For online ordering check out www.the-house.com or www.rei.com

Both have a selection of Ride boards. Not sure what they would charge for shipping. Usually have my stuff shipped to US address then shipped here. My company covers shipping from US so I have no clue about cost (sorry).

Another couple shops in Nagoya to check out are Himaraya Sports downtown (near Yaba-cho between Matsuzakaya and The Loft - across from Starbucks). Also you might check Victoria Sports on Hirokogi-dori near Shin-Sakae station.

Most stores should be putting out the winter stuff soon.

Good luck!