So when is Israel going to be declared a rogue nation, embargoed until its welfare services are crippled, bombed periodically, and its leaders targeted?

I believe it has met all of the criteria for that status...

I believe the timeframe for such a declaration is a little bogged down by the stategic importance of an ally in the middle east, and powerful lobby groups in influential nations.

a stern rebuke from some quarters even seems hard to come by, and it is this festering support which hampers other peace-making efforts.

from what i've read, a lot of powerful american jews are behind US government support for israel - the very existance of israel is there gurantee of salvation when judgment day comes, right? so they'll do anything to look after it.

this article sums it up nicely >>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,874824,00.html

Quote:

1. Lots of these Christian folks are dispensationalists, who believe that we are living in the sixth dispensation, and the seventh (shortly upon us) will be a millennium-long earthly reign, based in Israel. (Warning note: We have to have a rapture first, and their idea of rapture is different from that of most Guardian readers.)

2. For this to happen, all the Jews have to go to Israel and then convert to Christianity or die.

3. So they want the Jews to get the whole of Palestine, and quickly.

4. George Bush is a born-again Christian, as are many of his cronies, so either 5. he believes all this stuff and bases his foreign policy on it, or 6. he bends to the dispensationalists because he needs their votes.

ok, i should said "these points from this article sum it up nicely"

so fair enuff O11 - it was the first thing i found after a search that summarised what some consider to be the major reasons the US supports Israel. Although these things are impossibly to sum up really - there are so many factors...

there are better articles around, i just dont have them bookmarked.

its also about "plausible deniability" for the US govt though, right? supply weapons & "aid" when said country is doing what you want them to do, but cut off the weapons & aid when they dont do what you want. rest of world points to the US when said country does bad things, US says "sure we gave/sold them the weapons, but what they do with them is their business".

So as long as Israel continues to comply with US foreign policy, they can & will keep on kicking the crap out of the Palestinians & anyone else who gets in the way. \:\(

i read the article, shared the views posted, and giggled when i saw them tagged onto the end of the thread.

this page here has held my attention for over 2 hours over the last 2 days. although it stops short of covering recent history.

I don't think David Aaronovitch is a very knowledgable or insightful commentator about anything, let alone something as complicated as Israel/Palestine. The article is question is crass. His comments on the Iraq War have also been apologistic hogwash.

I think Israel has ignored more UN resolutions than any other country, including, of course, Iraq. And that's only the resolutions that weren't vetoed by the US in the first place.

Rach, Streisand is a pretty outspoken Jew with lots of money and questionable influence with more than a couple of fingers in the political cookie jar.