Since I started the thread thought I should mention some of my own!!

Festivals (so many!)!

National holidays (again so many!)

T-shirts with the most hilarious English written on them when the wearers have no idea what it means!!

Rotenbura at sunset with Fuji san in the background and a beer in hand!!

Awsome sunsets,

sitting on a train having a random strike up a conversation with you because he/she is interested in other cultures.

But mostly... Ogasawara Islands where I spend two months every year working at the Marine Centre, one of the most awsome islands on earth (big call I know!).

Holy cow, I just had the funniest moment of all my moments in Japan. In a group conversation about a vague topic not unlike this one, a well spoken and clear English speaking Japanese lady said:

“It seems that western men come here as they are not able to operate their penis in their home country"

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

It was the funniest thing I have heard from the most unexpected person.

No offence in meant to anyone here. I just had to repeat what I had heard.

I also like the speed at which I can get an Xray taken and examined ( less than 5 mins at my local hospital)

In Oz we are reffered to the Xray place after having been to the local GP first. About 2 hrs of waiting and the next day I can see the results???

Kappa sushi has as much class as a kappa tracksuit! It also gives me a stomach ache...

My votes go for:

1 - My girlfriend

2 - Unagi

3 - My pathetic job that has paid me so much money to do next to nothing for 3 years.

4 - Fast ADSL

5 - Sitting on the floor next to shoji, reading.

Indo, that's also the reason why Japanese have the highest rates of cancer in the developed world - because X-rays are so available and their equipment is so antiquated.

Even Japanese are worried about it.

Farquah, tell us more about where that specific rotenburo is with fuji-san in the background? Sounds nice.

Also, what do you do down in the Ogasawara-islands? Is there surf down there? Is it busy? When should I go? Sooo many questions. Save me! I want to escape!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikazooki:
right on slow. me and u should take it easy together some time.
Hey mikazooki,
It's not only us, there are many rotenburo fans here! lol.gif

I had experienced very nice rotenburo with fuji-san in the background on the way home from camping there. It was near Kawaguchi-ko, I think.
 Quote:
Also, what do you do down in the Ogasawara-islands? Is there surf down there? Is it busy? When should I go? Sooo many questions. Save me! I want to escape!
Ogasawara has some great surf but depends when you go, I always go over around July till start of September, as thats when the Green Turtles are hatching and I work for the Marine Centre collecting data and studying them, along with a load of other endemic species there (of which there is a staggering amount, some people call Ogaswara the Gallapagos of Asia). Then its warm tropical sea`s but not huge waves, best time for some good rips is around March when you can also see many Humpback Whales who mate there that time of year.

It isn`t busy at all, mainly due to the fact that its not so well known and also used to take 26hours by ferry to reach it (despite being included as part of Tokyo!!!), as there is no access by airplane. As of this year however there is a new ferry that has cut the time down to about 17 hours I think. However the inaccesibility is also one of the reasons why its soooooo beautiful, and unspoiled which is the way its meant to be!

If you are into diving its also THE place to go, I have been diving at various sites around the world and this is my personal favourite, not only is there an enormous amount of marine life here but also loads of wrecks to dive around left behind from the war. Last time I was there I had the most amazing dive of my life, as I was a mere 15 or so meters away from a HUGE HUmpback Whale, breathtaking to say the least.
The inhabitants are really friendly, the local food unbelievable, and the climate awsome. Is a seriuosly amazing place!

If you get out there then feel free to email and I will show anyone around the island and info on the cheapest/best places to stay, dive, surf eat and drink!!