Does this concept not exist in this country? Japan IS modernized right? It seems that if teachers are really really sick then coming to school is just going to spread it around. Which it always does. The bloke next to me must have a fever of 39 or 40, probably coughing up blood, snot running down his face (and doesnt blow it cuz thats considered disgusting in Japan) confused.gif , and looks like he was hit by a garbage truck. Go HOME!

Why are there no substitute teachers? wakaranai.gif

what I want to know is why they dont give more sick-days????

In my 1st job in Japan they gave 0 sick-days...thats right, if you were too sick to work it came out of your paid-vacation days... mad.gif mad.gif

On more than one occasion 1 dude spread his disease to our entire group...that is about 15 people...we all got sick...because nobody wants to waste a vacation day...

my current job gives me 2 sick days...WEAK!

danz

My question is why is that unqualified teachers are allowed to teach here?

I have worked with several english teachers who were woefully poor and have failed the `teachers exam` repeatedly. Yet, they are allowed to continue working (albiet at reduced pay) and messing up these kids education.

Either you are qualified to teach or you aren`t. Whats the point in having the bloody test at all?

They give a ton of paid leave days (many more than you might imagine). Its just that many people dont take them all. Sick days come out of all that, but I think that there is a special name for the sick part. I'll have to check the name, had this discussion a few years back with a Japanese teacher friend.

there is a teachers exam??

oops...someone forgot to tell me about that one...

but that hasnt stopped my school from letting me mess up my students education...

danz

I know there is a teachers exam - just on tv the other day there was a math teacher in Osaka who could barely even do the math he was teaching!!! Yet he was teaching? wakaranai.gif Ive heard of teachers failing many many times before they pass. What, they dont know the subject material? Is the exam that hard?

Worm, where are you and what does your friend teach?

I am in Chiba and my friend is a substitute teacher, shogakko --- so as far as I know teaches all sorts (as do all elementary teachers)

And I agree with yamayamayama - most of what has been said is garbage.

Back in the days when I "taught" at HS, all but one of the teachers in the two English departments I worked in had passed the exam. They said it was held on a prefectural basis and that some prefectures were harder than others. The woman who hadn't passed had done two years teaching, but reckoned her days were numbered if she didn't pass soon. She worked at the lower of the two schools in the local league table. It was noticable that the teachers at the higher school were much better.

From Yuki's pay and conditions, it sounds like he's working at a private school. If it's operating as a single school, maybe that's why they don't have a supply system to fall back on. If jobs there are coveted, there's probably more pressure on teachers to turn up however ill they may be.

No Fakie,

Ive only been at both private schools and public schools - Kindai fuzoku in Hiroshima and a public girls school which was hell. Damn glad to be outta that school. Kindai was a great school, but maybe because its a private school teachers never took sick days. They came in looking like they were about to die but still came. Just crazy. If one teacher took a day off it made that day hell for the rest of them trying to cover his/her lessons. I got stuck w/them too.

My new school is private as well so I imagine it will be like Kindai, i.e. nobody will take sick days. But, if this school has THIS much money then surely getting a substitute for the day wouldnt be an issue eh? I know you can say "thats not the point" or "thats not how its done here." But, when teachers AND students come to school as sick as a dog then it just spreads like wildfire.

In Great Britain, you have to pass the PGCE - post graduate certificate in education - before you can become a teacher. In Japan, you can just get away with having a degree, for several years if not forever. In my opinion that is not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
In Great Britain, you have to pass the PGCE - post graduate certificate in education - before you can become a teacher.
Funnily enough, however, the most prestigious schools in Britain don't require more than a degree.

Turning up and working when you are sick with a contagious illness is, I would guess, pretty common behaviour in many workplaces. I teach at private companies and often have students who're at deaths door, so to speak. It's a case of conflicting perceptions of the common good really. Don't want to let the team down by having a sick day so you come to work and expose the whole team to your germs.

It's rediculous, and it pisses me off because I've just recovered from a cold I most probably got from one of these types. Then again I'm a bit of a hypocrite, cause I keep working when I'm sick as well. However, no work=no pay in my case. I blame poor management for encouraging a work culture which discourages taking necessary sick leave. If I had sck leave available I'd certainly use it when necessary.

I was under the impression that generally Japanese teacher training was rather vigorous and quite difficult......