It looks like I might be spending the night in Taipei on a layover. Has anyone spent any time in this city. I read the airport is about 40 minutes from the city. I would like to experience as much of the city as I can in the short time I am there (arrive 10:30PM, depart 9:30AM). Any tips on a cheap place to stay or where to explore.

This might sound obvious, but do the night market. Everything from snakes to snake. It's easy to do an all nighter in Taiwan, with the time you have, i'd dump gear at the airport and play all night.

I am in Tokyo right now - gonna be doin some traveling around the country and then down to SE Asia for a few weeks. On the way down we have a layover.

Any more specific info on things to do or see would be greatly appreciated.

hope im not to late mate..

go to 'shinlin market', its heaps better than snake market, has everything that a market could want except snakes.

the city is pretty dead after 12 and dont take a cab without the metre being ON..they will try and rip u off really badly.

you can find love hotels for about 700NT and if you go to a hotel dont take their first price. i was there 1 month ago and prices started at 3900NT then quickly dropped to 2800NT then to 1800NT when we said we werent interested. Also, prices are for the room not the person so its best to travel with someone.

enjoy the stopover.

Wow, Taiwan must of drastically changed since I lived there...

Obviously the museums aren't kickin' at two in the morning, but there are plenty of pubs and clubs around, that certainly used to go all night. Can't give you Taipei details, as I lived in Taichung and only had a few nights in Taipei, but even starting at the ubiqitous pig 'n whistle just to get the next venue would serve you well. Get a starting point, however, as the clubs are spead out, small, and you wont find them just by looking.

This may no longer be true, but there used to be MTV. Bit like karaoke rooms, but you choose a movie, get the room, and, er... watch it. These used to be open all night, and cheaper than a love hotel!

Hallo? Dear Mr. EnderZero sir, ahm.

Might I suggest that it could be worth your while to visit one of the many barbershops that are so justly famous in Taiwan?

If the rumours be true, then at such an establishment you might not only brush up against tonsorial excellence, but also...erm...you might even brush up against some tonsils.

029.gif

• 1 month later...

Lemme tell you - there isn't really too much to do in Taipei after midnight. There was basically nothing open and not too many people around.

One interesting thing was 6 blocks of people about 4am all out folding newspapers before their delivery routes. It was like a whole subculture of newspaper delivery drivers.

That was about the highlight of Taipei

Hi slow,

yes. It was an amazing trip. I'll post a link to some pics if I ever get them up if people are interested. If anyone is thinking of going to SE Asia, I highly recommend you go to Vietnam. Angkor Wat in Cambodia is also seriously cool, but the bus ride is a killer.

Hi slow,

yes. It was an amazing trip. I'll post a link to some pics if I ever get them up if people are interested. If anyone is thinking of going to SE Asia, I highly recommend you go to Vietnam. Angkor Wat in Cambodia is also seriously cool, but the bus ride is a killer.