Skateboarding, Dogtown 'n stuff

We skateboarding types seemed to be hijacking NoFakie's thread about becoming a Viking, so I thought I'd start another one.

Who here skateboards then? Hard innit? Especially when you're of an age where your body no longer bounces when you hit tarmac, but goes 'bokki' instead.

I've been doing it on and off since I got my Freebord and T-board, and since visiting the Silverfish forum, I've been thinking of getting a longboard too. Shortboards have always seemed just too hazardous. In fact, I don't think I could even stand up on one for more than about 3 seconds. Now is a good time of year for it as it's getting a bit cooler and you don't sweat in the pads so much. But I don't want to ding my shoulders too badly again before the snowboarding season (not that there's going to be any snow this year.)

Matsuyama is building a new skateboard park, and when it's ready, and the 'sk8 punks' are doing their stuff, I'll sort of sidle up to the fence and try not to look too interested.

So, where can I get the Dogtown video in Japan? I'd like to see that...

Thanks for leading everyone away from the tele thread there, Ocean mate.

But I must say that falling off the skateboard is one of the few things that has NEVER made my body go "勃起"

Good to see there's life in the old dog.

I used to skate in my teens before I got a car. It was more of a mode of transport. Still enjoyed it though.

Coming off on a skateboards is one of the more painful experiences of my life thus far. Cement just doesn't have the same softness as most snow does.

I've been wanting to give the longboards a bash as for a while as well. Just haven't really had the spare cash.

I live four minutes from a Vans skatepark that is deserted on weekday mornings and afternoons.

A rank beginner, I was drawn to the vert ramp and after a few weeks I was actually getting about 2 meters up each side, and managing a few frontside and backside spins, as well as pumping to get more height. What a great feeling!

Then my knee began to hurt something awful and I went back to my knee doctor.

"What?!" he said, "you had arthroscopic surgery in July to remove most of your right meniscus, and now, at 40 years old, as part of your 'rehab' you take up vert skating and wonder why it hurts? I'll see you in 5 years for that knee replacement surgery then..."

It was a fair point to make.

I just wish I had taken up vert skating earlier in life, or else not torn that cartilage in the moguls that day at Naeba.

Zoom, float...zoom, float...zoom, float!

What a great feeling...mesmerizing.

Well, goodbye to skateboarding then.

wave.gif

ocean11, i fluked it at me local `HARMAN` vid store.

it`s a VANS production vid. and Sean Penn- Madonna fame- narrates it.

sorry i can`t provide anymore details, except, watch it!

talk to ya friendly staff at yor local store and i`m sure they`ll `do tha righty`

Ocean: I bought my "Dogtown" dvd at Tower Records in Shibuya; not sure where you can get it down in Boonysville there ;\)

I'm trying to suss out the new DC video while I'm stateside right now; it's supposed to be killer (and even has some 'Boarding footage in there).

I managed to pick up a new dvd put out by Girl Skateboard company; the staff at the skateshop was raving about it, but I'll post my own review later.

Whoops! I see in the telemarking thread that the DC video was already discussed. I will attempt to make ammends by providing you this picture from the new Big Brother mag; she's the She-Weeman?

feature_3_1_lg.jpg

Some scenes from the DC video are here.

Wow, she looks like she has a low centre of gravity.

I guess I'll have to install some DVD software on my computer. Even if I could get the video, I can't imagine the missus wanting to watch it...

Ah good to see some sk8ers on here. Basicaly I have been skating on and off (mainly on) for about 15 years, starting from the late dogtown/early Vision days right through till now. Lost a bit of interest during the small wheel period of 91-93 when things got a bit super-technical and flippy but up until moving to Japan was still into street skating. It's a great sport but much kinder on the bod if you are a bit younger. My only advice to those learning is to totally relax while you are skating and learn to bail and roll without stiffening up. It much harder to get hurt that way, although you will always lose some bark. After 15 years my shins have to be seen to be believed eek.gif Crater legs.

Oh...learn to ollie smooth and big before you try the flippy stuff. Good skating shoes make a difference too. D way is amazing and has a huge set of nuts on vert.

I still have an original dogtown deck in pretty good nick on the wall at home, museum piece that one! Saw the Z boys at a indepedent cimema back in Tasmania, full of old hardcore skaters, great night.

Enjoy everyone, and if you need any advice just send me a private wave.gif