My birthday is coming up (yeaah!) and I'm wondering which to demand, a Dirtsurfer or a T-Board. Maybe you can help me decide.

Dirtsurfer info is here; http://www.dirtsurfer.com/intro.html

And T-Board info here; http://www.tierneyrides.com/index_launch.html

The Dirtsurfer costs more at 49,800 yen while the T-Board can be had (by me) for 32,706 yen, quite a difference. Add on another 6,000 yen for wrist, knee, and elbow protection.

Both boards boast carving turns and greater stability with speed. Both claim to be 'just like snowboarding', although we have our doots aboot that.

The T-Board ride is probably closer to snowboarding, with tighter turns and wheels that you can't see while riding. But the Dirtsurfer is more akin to the snowboad in when you can go on it. With big wheels and knobbly tyres, you can actually take it on the mountain, whereas the T-Board is road-bound.

Speed control and stopping is also a big issue. Unlike snowboarding, you can't come to a quick dead stop, nor can you really bail painlessly. Here the Dirtsurfer surely has the advantage, with a leg activated V-brake on the back wheel. This is one of the most natural and effective-looking braking systems on any of the mountainboards. I can see that saving me a lot of pain, especially at first, although ultimately, relying on it rather than on riding skill could be a drawback.

So, if it was your choice, what would you do? If anyone has actually ridden either of these boards, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks cakehead. Something tells me you're not really rich, but if you want to send some money into the SJG Ocean11 Birthday Fund, they'll pass it along to the Present Committee.

god you`re boring!

instead of getting a dirt thingy or whatever the latest in thing is this year,how "ABOOT" getting a life? AND do us all a favor would ya?

Shut up, "which bored?".

Interesting stuff. Never knew about these things, will be taking a look myself. Are they selling them in Japan, then?

hows the form on which bored hey?

good onya rach for telling him/her/it to shut up, that`s great stuff! brilliant in fact. oh yeah, i`m not 100% but i think you have to go some factory in china to get them. i dont think they are available in japan yet. you know how far `behind` they are. maybe ocean knows a bit more aboUt that.

and oo, there are plenty of mountains in australia and new zealand with ski lifts running this `summer`, so if you buy one of these boards you could go there. how good`s that?

and ocean, you spell `doubts` like this, and about with an `o` and a `u`, not with two `oo`s.

there, that just abouts clears that up. now if only `which bored?` would stay shuted up......

rach, Dirtsurfer has a reseller in Kanagawa, but T-Board ship direct from the States.

oo, lots of resorts have the lifts running for mountain biking, and people who like looking at wild flowers and er, that sort of thing. Last year I tried mountainboarding at one of the Fujimi resorts but the boards were all heavy four wheelers with handheld brakes and the slope was a hideous steep incline scattered with sharp stones of all sizes.

which bored?, someone who knows!!! and all your other snide little incarnations - You were having a pick at somebody called powpow way back at the beginning of the year, and I had a go at you for it. Looks like you remember me eh? You spread like herpes. You see, you imagine you're anonymous, but you're not. Sure nobody knows your real name, but your character is as transparent as all your different aliases. I'm glad I annoy you, and now I look forward to those days you choose to come out from under your stone and have a poke aboot on our forum.

ocey, i`m not sure who you think i am, but i`m sure as hell not the same person/thing as Which Bored!

you`re right, you did have a go at me for no good reason, all i was doing was giving my opinion, just like you everytime you post here. So maybe this whole experience will make you think twice aboUt sprouting off in the future.

you either have: a) a very good memory,

B) an inferiority complex, or

c) way too much time on your hands.

Don`t ever put me in the same class as that good for nothing `Which Bored`.

I actually happen to be very interested in the mountain boards you mentioned. Maybe we could go boarding together and have some FUN. Wouldn`t that be swell? Lets continue to enjoy OUR forum, yeah!

Oh, 'someone who knows', I'm awfully sorry, you're not a bit similar in your troubled, post-pubescent way to that 'which bored', how could I have got you mixed up? I do have a long memory though, which is why I remember your old trolling.

Jon, when I say 'our' forum, I mean the people who take part and contribute with good will, and who eventually register.

Anyways, now that we've had Mr. Immature's weekly diversion, does anybody have any experience with Dirtsurfers or skateboards that want to be snowboards?

O11,

I would go for the dirtsurfer.

As you know, I have a freebord and you need smooth roads to enjoy it, especially as the speed picks up. I imagine that the t-board be similar in that sense.

The dirtsurfer is all-terrain and the bigger wheels would give a smoother ride and some cushioning too.

The brake system is also a big plus.

I have seen dirtsurfer in the shops and a friend rode one at a demo day and loved it so...

cheers

Thanks Craig, I think you're right there. I suspect the Dirtsurfer is less like snowboarding than the T-board, but offers a lot of fun and flexibility instead. The extra expense is probably worth it too.

It'll be interesting to watch the shakeout in these kinds of board. Outback, one of the coolest looking products, has gone bust and SBS with their Outback lookalike have been swallowed by Muddy Fox. If the T-board is more durable than the Freebord, it might replace it. Some of the other interesting looking board makers simply don't answer email, so I'd say they were asking for extinction.

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet oo, but thanks for asking.

It's all a bit up in the air. Having checked out the CarveBoard videos (http://www.carveboard.com/video/index.htm), I'm really torn, especially as I'm told they're coming out with a new, lighter version at 2/3 the price. This looks the best for snowboard-like action.

But then the Dirtsurfer can be ridden off-road, still a big attraction.

Oh, and money. I don't get my pocket money till the end of the month, I haven't saved enough up yet to cover the difference of the birthday fairy's tightness, and she don't take credit.

But rest assured, there will be follow-up, and photos.

What would you do oo?

I'm gettin' a new skateboard, and

A square grind rail,

and once I'm done skating on it, I'm going to stand it up against my picnic table,

and the other end on a smaller table.

and jump off the big table to get the hang of

270's to backside railslide 270 off, and

probably break my teeth in the process.

Hi O11,

Checked out the Tierney site and though it looks good it seems a lot like the Flowlab board in that it really only allows for carving.

I think the freebord offers more because of the way you can slide your turns, just like on snow. You pivot around your front foot and it feels just like one of those big drifty slidy powder turns that you can imagine throwing a huge rooster tail. It also allows you to spin and practise your fakey and even stop.

So from what I've seen, I still think the freebord the best road based board, but if I could choose any of the currently available toys it would be the dirtsurfer.

I just watched a segment about the dirtsurfer on TV. It showed them riding street, parks and even jumping in a terrain park created at a mates place with his dad's bobcat. They were carving narrow bike paths, bombing downhill at 100kph on asphalt in leathers and helmet, jumping/grabbing with footstraps, but the section I liked the best showed them riding through trees on loose dirt and sliding round corners and dropping into little gullies much like what you do on snow. They also showed the braking system and the new design they've just come up with so that it works just like a standard bike caliper system actived by your rear calf. I wish I could get on one and try it out.

Have fun, C.