Last night I saw a TV show on BBC1 that was, to say the least, very strange. It was on at about 10pm, don’t know what it was called. The whole show was of a family sitting on a crumby old sofa in a depressing looking living room. They were lets say ‘working class’ and had very classic ‘rough’ English accents (from a stereotypical point of view). All they did was sit on the couch with the tv going. There was an old guy with a brown beard and glasses. He had a huge laugh and would be really moody. Then there was his wife who just chattered away to the daughter and husband. The daughter was pregnant and she kept saying that she wanted to go to the toilet. One scene consisted of close-ups of each of them eating chocolate biscuits and slurping on tea. They didn’t say a word for at least 3 minutes! The picture it painted really was appallingly depressing and bleak. It was horrible. Yet, I watched the whole program and was laughing by the end. It was really quite odd the way it was made and in the end it was almost enjoyable to watch this mega-dull and depressing family chatting away like ignorant fools about sheer rubbish. They actually seemed like a happy little unit. Quite an interesting show that for some reason, I enjoyed.

Anyone from the UK know what it is called or what the story is with it. Is the average UK household scene really that morbid?

The Royale Family on BBC1? I'd have thought it waa BBC2.

Anyway, yes indeedy - that will be The Royale Family.

Did you get their accents? Heroes from the now defunct Brookside some of them. lol.gif

Hilarious.

\:D

Quote:
Is the average UK household scene really that morbid?
No, thank god. And lots of people don't like that programme, but it does have a following. Basically taking the piss out of a very working class northern family. Good stuff. lol.gif

Basically the entire series are set in the living room.

Ricky Tomlinson - his official site
http://www.rickytomlinson.com/

Lovely greeting on there when you power it up
lol.gif

This was not a troll (ie, I was not trying to stir up trouble or what have you). I honestly found the show quite entertaining, which was odd as it is really depressing visually.]

It must be hard to just sit there and act without the aid if props and body movement/gesticulation. The camera is all over their expressions and the sound it picking up the little noises of contentment/discontent, not just the scripted text.

If I have seen them then I didn't know it at the time. I don't watch the box much but have managed to stumble across Home and Away. What an appalling program it is, really shocking.

It is fun watching the news here. I am not being entirely serious, but so much TV news contains stories about what is in the printed news. In fact, TV news stories about newspapers seem very popular. There is even a section where they have a big pile of news papers for the day and go through them on TV. Next they will be running me through what is on the internet news services. I find it funny.

"and in todays news papers there is a story about...."

Why not just tell me the story and skip the fact that it is printed in a news paper? I like it \:\)

TV in general seems more mature here and the news certainly is not as dummed down as it is in Australia. Although there is no end of god awful reality TV shows. They really are the pits, no matter what country you are in.

Have you seen the section on the telly where they tell you about the reviews of the telly programmes that are in the newspapers.

lol.gif

I know after Japan when I go back to the UK I always think the tv over there looks reallllllly serious for the most part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

scouser - I think its popular in the south too - surely the main audience is up there though.

Brookside no longer exists on tv. They stopped it a while ago (couple of years?). I think they release some dvds every now or again with new stories, or that was the plan.