Just recently i was out with a group of friends and there were a few lads with us who are scottish.

The occasion was fairly formalish - well as formal as they get here in nz.

As we were eating dinner i noticed that the scots lads style of eating was completely different to everyone else at the table. They just seemed to tuck-in with far less regard for "niceties". They weren't really messy, just focused on having a good time and enjoying dinner.

As they licked their fingers and chomped away I was surprised to find that i actually found this quite refreshing and it reminded me of time i spent in the Philippines and the way Filipinos eat. They just seemed to enjoy their dinner....

To coincide with this, i had to notice that the pair of them really seemed to have far more zest for life than the others in our party, as they entertained our group and went nuts on the dance floor.

I could not help but relate their flare for a good time and their unhindered table habits were some how linked. Perhaps just more sensual and passionate than others??

Quote:
Perhaps just more sensual and passionate than others??
Rather than that, its probably just that they have not been taught proper eating manners, and don't care how they look in front of other people. ;\)

Seriously, "They weren't really messy, just focused on having a good time and enjoying dinner." - how exactly was this then?

Ofteh I see some people in this country so-called "enjoying their food".

Rather than it looking great, it looks painful, absolutely not fun, and as if they have some urgent appointment that they have to get to in order to avoid death.

I think alot of people when out can be a bit over-polite when they eat. I dont ness think it is a bad thing....i just thought it was refreshing to see a couple of guys really enjoying their meal...and not being distracted by making sure they had their napkin positioned appropriately.

The way they ate seemed to be an extention of thier own persona....carefree, passionate, and animated.

Or...am i way off base.... wakaranai.gif

Relaxed people who are at the same time inoffensive are always good to see in action.

On table manners in general though, I can’t handle people who chew with their mouths open. It looks and sounds appalling. I have known people who lack a minimum level of eating manners and have never been able to tell them. How do you say to someone that being near them when they eat if revolting and 90% of women that you attempt to have dinner with will run a mile? Seriously, I have seen people who chew food like a crocodile. They just slap their jaw open and shut. No matter how relaxed or down to earth someone appears to be, I draw the line at open mouthed noisy chewing ;\)

I lol.gif would hate to be hit in the eye with a stray bit of mushroom...!

Actually, this has happened to me...and leads onto an awkward situation....

It is very difficult to maintain a straight face when someone has launched a meal projectile onto you....then you struggle with the thought...do i ignore it and pretend i didnt notice (to save embarrassing them) or do you excuse yourself and hike it to the bathroom to wash up?

Open mouthed chewing is gross. But at the same time there are different levels of it. I have been out with people who don't seem to notice the constant stream of crumbs tumbling out of their mouth as they chew....yuck. Then there are those who on occasion open their mouth...far more discretely.

wakaranai.gif

Open mouth chewing is only acceptable for camels and giraffes.

Other than that, I'm pretty laid back about eating things. Just give me a good pie to scoff.