The logical answer would be yes.

Especially if you have just started off 8 days in a row would be asking for injury. On a day off why don't you walk or swim if you feel the need to exercise??

Even marathon runners have a day off in their weekly schedule. Running is such a high impact activity that if you don't rest you will no doubt injure yourself again.

Second Indosnm's answer. If you got a mtn. bike go for a ride. If you have access to a pool, swim. Extended periods of strain on your body, especially your knees, without recovery time, is just asking for trouble. If you feel the need to move, walk; but take a day off. Your knees will thank you for it \:\)

Agree with what everyone has said, but would like to add that you should vary the distance (and intensity) of your runs a bit more. Running 6k a night is great, but I'd suggest you balance a few light days with heavier days. You can progressively adjust the frequency of the longer runs as you (and you body) become more comfortable with the distances.

At the very least, variation will keep you from going insane. I find that the same distance every day becomes monotonous.

Have you been trying Fartlek at all? There are loads of workout suggestions for that on the web if you're interested.

Thanks for all that. Its very interesting.

Is 1 night off enough?

I really don't feel that I'm stretching myself, really into it at the moment. Thats why I dont want to stop so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy mileage (even if it's LSD)wears down on your miniscus and cartilage, causing aches and pains later in life. Having "off days" (either biking, swimming, or even running on grass) will help ease those pains. It also helps to break-up the monotony of your workout regimen and challenge your muscles to develop more. Of course, you may feel pain now if you're a bit on in years.

Unfortunately, my future is now. I logged alot of miles long ago and now I feel pain in my knees when a rainstorm's coming...

I had a bit of a knee problem last year in thr 4th month of so of me taking up jogging. Partly down to the crappy shoes I was using. Got some good ones after that and the problem went away. I havent felt any knee strains at all since then.

Orange,

It really depends on what type of mileage youre doing but you should, as a loose rule based on your milage, change your shoes every 6 months or sooner. Running in old shoes intensifies the impact of your feet, muscles, knees, etc and will most likely be a factor in getting injured.

Goemon,

yeah, I ended up tearing my medial meniscus and had it sutured - my weeks of heavy mileage are looooooong gone.

I like Asics for middle and long distance running. I bought my first pair of Tigers 17 years ago and have been faithful ever since. And they never have called to thank me. \:\(

mad nut,

Im right there with ya!

happy,

As for shoes, everybody is different; different size and shape feet, weight etc.. so I really dont know what would be good for you, especially if you pronate or under pronate... It really depends. If theres a good running store near you pay them a visit (assuming theyre knowledgeable and not just arubaito). If you can show me the bottom of your shoe soles I could tell you though what might be good. Can you get some pics up?

New Balance is probably the best all around company. My uni use to be sponsored by Nike so we got free Nikes to train and race in. Im a huge fan of the Nike International Air Max Triax but cant find it recently. Have last years Air Max but will probably swtich back to some Asics 1090s or something.

Merry Jim,

It tells you how the runners foot strikes the ground along with the wear and tear on the shoe. Any good running store, at least in the states, would suggest you bring in your old shoes just to make sure that theyre anatomically suitable for you. If youre running in shoes that arent designed for your foot it will most likely lead to injury.

Another option is to remove the insoles that come with the shoes and replace them with something nicer and more customized to your running style. I'm a big fan of Spenco 's polysorb inserts. They're even available in Japan . Most of the insoles that come included with the shoe are cheap crap.

oooo. Custom orthotics! I'm jealous.

All of this running talk may encourage me to start running again \:\) ...but it's raining outside and my knees are pulsing... " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />