I always use skins. Wax, I believe, allows for faster travel along the flats, but doesn't have the climbing power of skins. Just how advantageous it would be on a splitboard, given that wax points are scored in the 'glide' department???

Due to my perceptions of it's use, i've never tried it though, so my opinion here may well be fawed and valueless. \:\)

ian F... a (sticky) wax placed under the ski at the waist to allow traction for xc skiing. One 'kicks off' and then glides, hence the name.

Kick Wax works with the camber of the ski.

I think you put it in the middle at the top of the arch and then glide on the rest of the ski.

Not really sure if you would benifit in the backcountry when just going for turns but if you are going major distances over glaciers and stuff like that it would probably be good.

There is basically two types of wax, kick wax and glide wax. As Toque said the kick wax goes under the cambered section of the ski. The glide wax goes on the tips and tails. The idea behind the kick wax is to provide just enough traction that when you push off it will not allow the ski to slide out from underneath you. The thing is that kick wax is usually designed around snow temperature and water content so you may need to bring several different types of wax with you. You can usually pick up a starter pack with three different types of wax this will get you through most situations. Glide wax is a little more general and one type will work most of the time. As far as using it on a split board not sure how well it works. Due the camber the camber being much different then a x-country ski. Try it before you get into the BC and let me know how it works.

Quattro