To anyone who might actually be reading,

I am hoping to go to Japan next summer on the JET programme, and I have a very small dilemma. On the application form, I can choose up to 3 prefectures I would like to live. Now, before both of you reading this start yelling "Niseko" or "Hokkaido", i should mention a couple things. I have lived in Japan before for about 3 years. 1 in Hokkaido, and 2 in Nagano. Yup, I love snow. I am a lifelong skier-turned-snowboarder (does that make any sense?) and want to live near some good hills. However, I am also wanting to live in a less-developed area with plenty of traditional culture. The culture aspect kinda removes Hokkaido from my list. But northern Nagano is ideal. But tha is as far as i have gotten. I haven't traveled to many ski areas beyond Nagano's borders. Niigata has some nice stuff, but it is pretty warm and wet there. I've driven through a little of Gunma and wasn't impressed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at Tohoku, specifically Akita and Iwate. Are these any good? How is the environment there?

I have to submit the application soon, and I need some advice right quick!

I have looked a it, and i would love to request it. The only thing is, you ca only be specific in your first request. You can also have a coice of Urban, semi-urban, or rural areas, but that is it. I am worried that if i requst Gifu, have a good chance of being stuck somewhere in the west. Or does that matter? Are there ski-hills spread out through the whole prefecture?

Pretty much ski hills everwhere in Gifu.

This is what I would do.

Choose north gifu north nagano and nigata boom you get close to the mountains.

OR

Iwate akita yamagata boom you get right in the heart of some snowy mountains.

I would never choose niseko never

I remember that you could choose a town as well as urban rural. But then your the one filling out the form now and I did it like 2 years ago eek.gif

Seems like most people who pick Takayama get pretty close to Takayama. And for culture it is pretty sweet. I'm not into the culture stuff so much but I do take advantage of the mtns.

Actually, I plan to specifically request north Nagano as my first chioce. Its the other two that i cannot be as specific about. So Gifu sounds great, along with Akita/Yamagata/Iwate. But I only have two choices left. Any more info about Tohoku would be very welcome.

And thanks for all the replies so far!