I just heard my voice on a video and remembered how much I hated listening to myself on tape/vid. Any techheads explain to me why my voice sounds so different from what I think it is (from hearing myself speak it)?

True to a certain extent, but not always, since it also depends on not only recording, but playback quality. If it's recorded and/or played back on low quality equipment it's never going to sound as full as the natural voice, even though it may be distinctly recognizable.

Still, that being said, many people don't like the sound of their own voice recorded. And we also have all those wonderful bones inside our skull that act as resonators which we can also hear with, so that can make what a speaker and listener hear sound a different too. Your voice may sound better to you because you're also hearing it resonate and vibrate thru your bones - in the head, in also, in the chest, etc. When you listen back to a voice recording, you can't recreate that resonance inside your body since your voice is coming from outside of you.

Ever seen how a classical musician will strike a tuning fork against something to send it into vibration and then touch it to the side of their head to hear the pitch? They're listening with the bone, rather than their ears to the sound as it resonates thru the bone.

I sometimes like to strike my head directly against an icy gerende just to see how it resonates through the bone.

And that's a nice explanation there sunrise, but I think you miss the point - A Scouse's voice always sounds horrible.

Quote:
A Scouse's voice always sounds horrible.
I'll stick up for scouser here - thats not true. Definitely sometimess true, but not always ;\)