new ways to harm our country and our people

And for those who want an idea of what the link goes to without having to click:

Tongue-twisted Bush is bent on self-harm

By Rupert Cornwell in Washington

06 August 2004

Even by the previous standards of Bushisms, this was one for the ages.

Signing into law a new $417bn (£229bn) defence spending bill, the famously tongue-twisted 43rd President of the United States solemnly declared yesterday that his administration "will never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people".

But for the benefit of being in context, this is what was said:

Quote:
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we," he said. "They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
Which is actually not that much of a side slapping Bush stuff up. It is easy to jump on the Bush is an idiot wagon (because he is one). But this Bushism I think is fluff.

Quite simple, when I was a Cavalry officer I would constantly plan pretend battles and defence structures. One of the key components of this process was assessing how I thought the enemy would try and beat me, and how many different ways they might approach that goal.

This is what Bush is saying.

However it can be interpreted as being a funny stuff up as indeed Bush does seem to set out to harm Americans and America (and the RoW)

> This is what Bush is saying

I think that's too charitable. Bush couldn't say that if he tried, it's not in his nature to say anything that even hints of the sophistication that your interpretation implies, and if that's what he was trying to say, it would have come out stupid in a different way.

He's just another moronic Republican president who speaks the truth by accident.