With Japanese families at obon

Not sure if this has been done before.. but anyone here going to be spending obon with a Japanese family? What do you do? Is it a bit of a letdown like (I thought) New Year was? Or do they do lots of special things apart from watching tv specials etc? Kinda interested to know what goes on.

Oh yeah, it's a real hoe-down! There's something for every generation, even the dead! Everybody gets dressed up in traditional togs and the spirits come to visit! It's only through the intercession of the priest (whose visit is eagerly anticipated!) that serious trouble from the interaction between this world and the next can be avoided! If the attractive sugar gifts are the cheap ones there'll be fireworks!

Fireworks! Yes! Spectacular senko hanabi! And lively timeless games like 'chase the goldfish' send gales of delight into the ghost-wreathed hills!

Remember to drink plenty. I find it helps.

We are going to Grandma's house on Sunday and dropping off the baby. Then we'll drive up to the family graves with the brother, sister in-law, niece, and the two dogs. Hang about the graves for a bit having a crack and a bit of a secular prayer/commune with the dead. Then back home to Grandma's for a feed and catching up with lots of drinks. Just fun really-not very different from home.

Not sure about the whole welcoming back thing but we go up there about 3 times a year. At home I sometimes visit family graves as well. For me it has nothing to do with organised religion, it's more of a family tradition and a good chance to get together. This is home as well so it's prolly more accurate to say I do similar things back in NZ.

We spent a couple of days with a family last week. We basically just ate well, drank well, had other friends round and went out for a morning to a big local shrine. A bit too busy for my liking, but a fun experience all the same.