Pretty damn cool to have caught that on film. You can look at a landslide scarp on a mountainside but never truely know the power behind that slide and it's destructiveness. That footage will be shown for years in geomorphology and geology classrooms around the world.

Besides the destruction, I think there is another big problem with this slide. It's going to spur on the construction industry in this country and even more cement will be poured and sprayed on to once beautiful landscapes. It's bad enough as it is, but this video will be shown to prefectural or town governments as 'proof' that they are in imminent danger and that money must be spent now! No question will ever be brought up about the geology of the hillside or why a highway was built on such a steep slope underlain by the cutbank of a river. Wait a year and then look up a before and after picture of that area.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
No question will ever be brought up about the geology of the hillside or why a highway was built on such a steep slope underlain by the cutbank of a river.
Trouble is, that's pretty much the pattern for roads in Japan. I drove to my muvver-in-law's last weekend, and all but a few miles of city road were built to exactly that pattern. It reminded me of this thread. The question is, where else are you going to build roads in Japan?

While I question the need to concrete over rivers, dam off wetlands, and shore up coastlines, having seen some of these landslides over roads and railway lines, I suspect that there's some logic to this aspect of Concrete Japan at least.

But driving in tunnels carries more risks than driving on landslide-prone roads... Driving with prescription sunglasses on is a gamble when you have to go through some of the older tunnels - will I be able to see anything at all...?

That was a really cool video. And like Plucky said it will be shown in Geomorph classes for ages. Great to see how it moves down the slope. It really seemed to move in one great lobe with some of the trees remaining upright for a bit of time. Also saw that the road was just sitting in pieces below but still kind of looking like a road.

There is a great tunnel near my place. It goes through the Yakedake Volcano and is over 4 km long. Spent millions upon millions figuring out where it would be safe to push a hole through. Always get me nervous driving through it. Might see laza coming out of the walls.