We're going to be moving soon to a bigger place, one of the things we're noticing is how wildly the charges for car parking varies. Some places its included in the price - others up to 20000 yen a month for a space.

If you pay, how much are you handing out (and what kind of place are you in?). It would be interesting to hear what other peoples deals are.

Thanks!

I own a 'mansion' about a 5 minute drive from Sendai station. We live in an upscale neigborhood (for Sendai)right across the street from Tohoku Daigaku Hospital... and I pay 12,000 yen per month for parking immediately in from of my building. price in my building is the same for renters as owners... it's also uncovered (my 4X4 is ageing quickly).

I pay 8000 for uncovered in a private residence next to my soon to be shrouded apartment building.

The mansions (8 story 60 apt block) own parking is 12000yen for the limited number (15) of parks available on the ground floor.

I have a double garage with radio-operated shutter under my living room. One section has our car, and the other holds snowboards, skate/mountainboards, rubber boats, winter tyres etc. It's half underground and completely enclosed, so it keeps the car nice and cool in summer too.

It's included in the rent, and effectively it's free.

Friends in Tokyo's Nakano-ku pay about 30,000 for an uncovered parking space. Their manshion's rent is around 10 man...

If I had the money, would love to buy a lot in Tokyo and live off the car-parking rent!!

--Ocean11, how much is the rent in Shikoku??

I have a huge gripe about Japanese society today. The deeply rooted accepted culture of "key money" and letting landlords as well as real estate agents run the rental market as they please. Why do Japanese people not challenge this ridiculous system? In which other country in the world do you pay 6 months worth of rent just to get into a house ... and then when you leave you are lucky to get one month of it back just because they want to change the tatami mats and clean the place up a little.

I am currently looking for a new place to live and am just so shocked at how much money these people want for you to move into a very very ordinary apartment. I am really stuck as to what to do next and have seen how little choice there is in the "no key money" rental market.

I guess lots of people will have some opinions and stories on this topic and it would be good to hear some of them.

Woywoy all I can suggest is to do what I did, that is go private, word of mouth, someones friend etc who is looking for tenants etc etc, One of my students told me her parents had a spare house. I did some probing and checked out the place. It was a massive house in a well to do suburb, but was a long way from the shops and far from the station, but they were going to give it to us for 5man - straight up.

Decided to stay in my current place due to excellent location and amenities nearby. We got the place through my wifes friend who got married and moved out (to an Island south of Kyushu and surfs everyday - must be nice) and needed someone to fill the void, cheaply too.

So thats your best bet, if you have Japanese friends, get the word out you never know!

In Minato-Ku I used to pay Y43,000 a month (plus key money and deposit - fur fukz sakeeek.gif) for parking in my apartment block. It was (in Japanese) '3D Paruking', actually, it was a 12 story automatic, computer controlled jobbie. Brand new, all covered, and very cool, but stupidly priced. My apartment was almost 20 man it was new too.

I could afford it, and found no point in having a car and having it parked 1hour across town just to save Y20,000 or something. Besides, I hated traveling on the train every day in Tokyo and so drove my car to work every day. I had free parking at work, so that was no problem.....

I guess Minato-Ku is about as expensive at it gets, so the further away from there the better.

Living now in Niigata, I have free parking (with snow clearing as well...... \:\)

31,000 near Namba in Osaka, for an uncovered space, but 24 hour security guard (fortunately, crime being such a high priority here an' all). And that's cheap for this area, most spots around 40,000.

Been looking for a four storey town house with dual first storey parking/garage in a quiet neighbourhood within ten minutes cycle of work for less than 10 man, but...alas... \:\(