Ok you surfers out there have more than likely had this happened to you right? Last week I got caught in a big river hole this is the second to keep my kayak stuck, but the first one to make me feel like I would never get out. Had to pop my skirt and then maybe cause of my poping out angle I got loose. My boat stayed in the hole and got thrashed by the water. The water pulled so strong I sucked off my fake wedding ring, felt like a strong vaccum type sucking on my finger.

Question If I didnt have a lifejacket I would have shit my pants. Why dont surfers wear life jackets?

Quote:
Had to pop my skirt
Sorry fattwin, I gotta ask, what are doing crossdressing on the river anyhow confused.gif

I think,(others may correct me here), in the ocean, the undertows kind of move out to sea rather then just sucking and churning in the one place. As a surfer, you might get pushed to the bottom and held there for a while by a wave, but the currents will usually just carry you out to sea a bit rather then holding you under.

Mind you, I have been held under for about 3 or 4 waves once in not too big conditions. So perhaps it is a lesson - don't fvck with mother nature 'cause she is much stronger then us no matter what we are doing.

As for surfers wearing life jackets.... lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif I don't think it will ever really catch on...... lol.gif lol.gif

What do i call it when Im sucked in and held there? any help?

I didnt think life jackets would catch on but what Ive heard from some surfers is that you can get held down. Now if you lose your energy and cant swim up then what do you do? I got freaked there in Mie crazy freaking hole I tell yeah. my really good buddy did 4 rolls in a row before he could stay upright.

I was taught that when caught in a big hole you can try doing 2 different things. Going big or small. Going big you just try to stick your hand or feet out of the flow and you should get pulled out. Going small you go under to the bottom and hopefully bouce out that way surfacing further down. As a last chance you take you jacket off and hope for the best.

But you got bigger balls than I do Fatts. I always freaked out when I had to swim through a hole during training. Like I have said before. Rivers are scary.

Ocean my holes are clean and deep. At least now they are the last typhoon wrecked the best hole/wave that was 30 minutes drive from here. That Hozugawa hole has been famous for so many years its a shame.

In the kayaking you just take a beating and I couldnt get my body anywhere near where I should be to do my roll.

Fatts,

Surfers don't wear life jackets for 1 main reason which is that we would lose paddling ability and it would be almost impossible to paddle properly on your board.

Many guys doing tow-ins these days are wearing new specially designed vests to aid them in reaching the top quicker.

In surfing you do get holdowns but usually you pop up or can get to the surfaceas the waves momentum passes. The challenge is to get up to the surface b4 you cop another wave on the head!

Like stipper said, ocean currents genrally pull out to sea but I have been in a few heavy situations where there have been full on bubbling/ gurgling rips that just spin in circles. Japan in typhoons get hell currents that pull horozontally to the shore..

heres a vest for towing... you can make out that he's wearing one. SIIIIIICK wave.

10_large.gif

Ross has a big set!

when you compare the impacto of that wave with other sports, they just don'to compare.

dear B, see the CT in Japan last week. They scored typhoon & finished event in 4 days! unfuuuukinbelievable!