I was on some country road in Gunma the other week in a friends car and we must have gone about 30 minutes behind 3 cars, basically being held up by grandpa who was going less than 30km/h - but it was one of those roads where overtaking is almost impossible. It was VERY frustrating, there were passing places so the old git could have pulled over and let us past, but oh no. Anyway, once we got onto a semi-reasonable stretch, we overtook the 3 cars all in one go. Maybe quite dangerous, but our frustration was more dangerous. mad.gif

You can find an English copy in my house. I did. But don't let me catch you looking.

It doesn't have anything to say about how many vehicles you can overtake at one time, but it does say you must keep within the speed limit, so actually the number of cars you can legally overtake is roughly zero.

I hope this helped.

I always used to over take 2 cars at once. All the time. If the road is clear then it is not dangerous. It is more dangerous to pants around trying to just pass one of teh two cars and squeeze in the gap between them. Often a chain of three cars would pass a slow moving body of two cars. Now that gets dangerous if you are car #3 doing the passing. Road running out, cant se much.... very silly.

I think on a motor bike I passed something like 8 cars in a row once. But no doubt it was not so safe and I was breaking the law (approx 180kmph would be my top highway speed unless it was really isolated and then we would open right up)

One looks at road accidents in Japan after the fact and wonders W T F!? How did THAT happen?

Now I know. It was foreign madmen zipping through the traffic at warp speed confusing law-abiding Japanese drivers causing them to crash in bizarre configurations.

Just the other day I saw two overly big vehicles buried parallel in a garden wall at a tiny crossroads on my housing estate. The top-notch local fuzz were standing around with tape-measures and other useful kit. blinkin'ek, have you been in Shikoku recently?